JERUSALEM (AFP) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Wednesday he expected peace talks with the Palestinians to resume in the coming weeks. I have reasons to believe, realistically, that we will resume the peace process with the Palestinians, without prior conditions, in the coming weeks, he told his audience at a conference on security in Herzliya, nothern Israel. Meanwhile, a rocket fired from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip on Wednesday landed in Israel without causing any casualties or damage, according to the Israeli military. The projectile landed near Sderot, an Israeli town near the border that in recent years has been struck by thousands of rockets fired by Palestinian militants. The attacks are rarely lethal but have spread fear and panic. The Gaza border has been mostly quiet since a massive Israeli offensive in December 2008 and January 2009 aimed at halting the rockets, a 22-day war that killed some 1,400 Palestinians. Thirteen Israelis were killed in the fighting. Around 270 rockets and mortar rounds have been fired from Gaza since the end of the conflict, a drop of more than 90 percent compared with the year preceding the war, according to the Israeli military. A Palestinian was killed in the southern Gaza Strip early on Wednesday when a smuggling tunnel on the border between the Hamas-run enclave and Egypt collapsed, medics said. The mans identity was not immediately released. Israeli jets bombed at least six targets around the tunnels late on Tuesday, but medics said the mans death was not a result of the raids. The impoverished territory of 1.5 million people has largely relied on the vast network of tunnels on the border since Israel and Egypt sealed Gaza off to all but vital aid after Hamas seized power in June 2007. The Israeli military has regularly targeted the tunnels, which are used to bring weapons into the territory as well as other goods. More than 120 Palestinians have died in cave-ins or been killed by Israeli operations since the Hamas takeover, medics say. Israel launched air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday striking tunnels along the border with Egypt and an abandoned building, Hamas officials said. The Israeli army had no immediate comment on the strikes which came a day after two explosive devices said to have originated in the Hamas-ruled Gaza territory washed up on Israels coastline. There were no immediate reports of injuries from the bombings witnesses said were carried out by Israeli air force fighter jets at an abandoned airport and on tunnels Israel says are used to smuggle weapons into the coastal territory. The attacks came shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told a news conference alongside Italys Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi that Israel would respond to the explosives found on the countrys beaches. Palestinian militants from the Israeli-blockaded territory claimed responsibility for what Israel described as an unusual type of attempted attack. Most attacks from Gaza in the past few years have been by rocket shootings at Israeli towns. The Islamic Jihad group said it had floated the explosives out to sea in a joint operation with two other groups including the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbass Fatah movement. Hamas, an Islamist group that seized control of Gaza in 2007, has largely reined in its own militants since a devastating war with Israel a year ago in which 1,400 Palestinians and 13 Israelis were killed. In a separate development, an Arab resident of an Israeli town was spotted wandering towards the Gaza border, an Israeli military official said. The same man has made previous attempts to illegally cross into Egypt and Jordan, and was believed to be mentally unstable, the official added. Palestinian witnesses said Hamas police officials took the man into custody after he crossed into Gaza. There were no further details immediately available about the case.