LAHORE – A private security gunned down a 30-year-old driver during their scuffle, which erupted because of blockage of cellular phone networking in the Chuhng police limits on Thursday.

Resident of Township, Imran Al-Hassan had been working in a telecom company as a driver. The security guard, identified as Shabbir Hussain, shot dead the van driver and managed to escape from the crime scene, police said.

On the day of incident, Imran reached the main entrance of a housing society situated at the Multan road to pick up the staff of the company after the first-shift working ended. But he was denied the access as the security guard suggested him to contact the company by using cellular phone to get entry permission. Imran failed to contact the company staff because of blockage of cellular-phone service in Lahore on Thursday.

The driver told the guard that the phone service had been suspended in the city but he did not allow him to enter the society to lift the staff.

The driver exchanged harsh with the security guard, who got infuriated and opened fire on Imran from a close range.

Shabbir managed to escape from the crime scene while the injured was rushed to a local hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead. Police investigators reached the spot and removed the dead body to the morgue for autopsy.

The police have also registered a murder case against the killer on the complaint of Irfan Al-Hassan, brother of the deceased. The police are investigating with no arrest made so far.

Killed: A 25-year-old man committed suicide by cutting himself severely with a blade in the Shalimar police vicinity on Thursday.

The police identified the deceased as Muhammad Irfan, a drug addict and resident of Sheller-Chowk in the Shalimar.

Police said that the drug addict suddenly got infuriated and started cutting himself with a blade. He received sever injuries on his chest and other body parts and was rushed to a local hospital, where he died because of excessive bleeding.

Sources said that the drug addict cut himself to avoid arrest as some policemen tried to arrest him during routine patrolling. However, the police claimed that the addict committed suicide since he had no drugs to use. The police have removed the body to the morgue for autopsy and are investigating.

Found dead: A 50-year-old woman was recovered dead under mysterious circumstances from the Ichhra police limits on Thursday. Police said that the woman, unidentified so far, was lying dead alongside the main Ferozepur road as they reached the spot. Some passersby spotted the body and contacted the police by phone. The body was removed to the morgue for autopsy. Investigators said that the woman was apparently a beggar.