ISLAMABAD - Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan Saturday said that action has been launched against banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and its facilitators as well as against madrassas which are involved in terrorism, throughout the country.
The minister said the action has been started in the light of decisions of Friday’s All Parties Conference (APC). The APC took a number of decisions as part of the implementation of recently announced 20-point National Action Plan (NAP) on Counter Terrorism and the execution of these decisions had been started, Nisar told a press conference at the Punjab House.
Contrary to one of those 20 points, that action would be taken against all banned outfits and against those working with the new names, the interior minister said, “Action is being taken only against those militant organisations which are fighting against the state and which have taken up weapons, and not against all 60 banned organisations.”
He said that action had been started against TTP at federal and provincial levels and for this purpose the militants of TTP, its sympathisers, facilitators, financers and participants of terrorism plans were being pin pointed through intelligence and other resources.
A day after APC made a unanimous decision to amend the Constitution for the establishment of military court, Nisar said, “There are more than 60 banned organisations in the country and many of them were not involved in militancy but banned due to certain other reasons and thus they started work with the new names.”
He clarified that the government would not close offices of such organisations, as they had nothing to do with militancy. “Action is being taken only against those organisations who are fighting against the state... we are countering militancy but don’t want to open a new front against all banned organisation,” he said.
Reiterating his earlier claim, Nisar said that overwhelmingly majority of madrassas were not involved in terrorism. But, action has been started after approval of APC against those seminaries which are involved in facilitation and helping of terrorism or terrorists and are harbouring sympathisers of terrorism, he said.
Action against rogue seminaries would be taken with proof, which shall be shared with the bodies of religious seminaries, the minister said. The main bodies of madrassas would be taken on board in this regard and a meeting would be soon held with their representatives, he added.
Informing about the other decisions of APC, he said publication or sale of hate material would not be tolerated and all such material was being confiscated. Loudspeaker would not allowed to spread hatred against any religion and the information about the violators could be given on 1717 Help line of the interior ministry, he added.
The minister said it was also decided that quick action would be taken against glorifying the terrorists and he requested the media to blackout terrorists and their organisations. “A draft of legislation is in the final stage in this connection,” he said. “Provinces had been asked to deal strictly with the cases of victimisation of people on religious biases,” he said.
It had been decided in the light of National Action Plan (NAP) that the state would use all resources including Federal Board of Revenue (FBR), intelligence agencies and security forces for blocking terrorism financing. “We are activating all state resources and institutions and the government is talking with the four Islamic states that their donation money to certain organisations in Pakistan should not be used in terrorism”.
The minister said if banned organisation were found involved in terrorism, action would be taken and their cases would be sent to military courts . No militant or banned organisation would be allowed to collect donation or hides. He requested the people not to fund unintentionally to such organisations who later could use this money in terrorism.
About military courts , Nisar clarified these would not be used against politicians, journalists, madrassas or common citizens “Military courts are only being establish to try jet black terrorists and to give terrorists a chance to explain or prove their innocence,” he said, adding that military courts did not mean that anyone whom they would try, would be hanged.
These courts are being established under a procedure and these would work under a law and give opportunity to the accused to prove innocence. He said the terrorists nabbed by army, security forces and police would be produced in military courts for trial. After 9/11, even such military tribunals were established in US. He also rejected the impression that government was forced by the military to set up these courts.
Chaudhry Nisar said that any person could give information about any suspect or terrorist activity through Help Line 1717 of the interior ministry. “The information... would be immediately shared with the provinces and necessary action would start,” he said and warned action would be taken for providing wrong information.
Giving the idea to declare National Security Emergency in the country for a period of two year, as they were not living in a normal situation, the minister said that recently 400 intelligence based operation had been conducted out of which 100 terrorists had been killed and around 250 had been arrested. It has been decided that combing operations would be started in all provinces and the federal area, Nisar said.
He said that Afghan refugees were generally peaceful but their camps had been found to be used in terrorism activities. “Only 0.2 million Afghan refugees live in the suburbs of Islamabad but I can say on record that now the government had a record of all those after hectic exercise of more than a year of their registration.”
Nisar said that provinces had been asked to point out Afghan refugees living in any part of the province concerned. In the first stage, they would be limited to their camps and in the second stage they would be repatriated. He said that some foreign intelligence agencies operatives were found living in the capital area at costly rents but these houses had been cleared of such persons.
The minister said that as part of the NAP, monitoring would be done of streets, hotels and for this purpose the awareness of the masses was very necessary “Every citizen would have to be proactive,” he said. “I want to make it clear that main responsibility for the implementation of NAP was of provinces and the basic job of the federal government was gathering of intelligence and sharing it with the provinces,” he said, adding that committees headed by CMs and provincial heads of all intelligence agencies had been formed in this regard.