QUETTA - Security forces killed seven rebels in two separate gunbattles in Balochistan, an official from a government paramilitary unit told Reuters on Thursday.

Four of the militants were killed during an operation by the Frontier Corps (FC) paramilitary unit in Kohlu district on Thursday, while three others were killed in Kech district on Wednesday night, FC spokesman Khan Wasay said.

Wasay identified the men as belonging to the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA).

Attacks on security convoys and personnel by the BLA are common, as are retaliatory operations by security forces, who rights group allege have abducted and extrajudicially killed hundreds of Baloch political activists.

Wasay claimed a senior BLA commander had been killed in the gunbattle on Wednesday night, but did not name him.

"[That group was] involved in kidnapping and killing of two labourers working on a under construction dam in Gwadar district," he told Reuters.

Gwadar hosts a newly constructed port that is the focus of the $46 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a project that would provide a trade route from western China through Pakistan to the Arabian Sea and beyond.

Security has been a major concern along the route, particularly in Balochistan. The military is raising a new division numbering an estimated 13,000 troops to maintain order along the CPEC.

TERROR BID FOILED

INP adds: The Frontier Corps (FC) foiled a massive terrorism bid as it seized an explosive laden vehicle and arrested a terrorist here on Thursday.

Spokesman of FC said that the paramilitary force reacting to an intelligence tip-off regarding presence of militants raided a compound in Gulistan area of district Qilla Abdullah, Balochistan.

An explosives laden vehicle parked in the compound was recovered and a terrorist stated to be member of a banned outfit was arrested. The vehicle was taken into custody and nabbed terrorist was shifted to an undisclosed location for interrogation.

FC spokesman said that the recovered explosives material was to be used in conducting major terror attacks in different areas of the province but timely action foiled the bid.

Reuters

QUETTA

Security forces killed seven rebels in two separate gunbattles in Balochistan, an official from a government paramilitary unit told Reuters on Thursday.

Four of the militants were killed during an operation by the Frontier Corps (FC) paramilitary unit in Kohlu district on Thursday, while three others were killed in Kech district on Wednesday night, FC spokesman Khan Wasay said.

Wasay identified the men as belonging to the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA).

Attacks on security convoys and personnel by the BLA are common, as are retaliatory operations by security forces, who rights group allege have abducted and extrajudicially killed hundreds of Baloch political activists.

Wasay claimed a senior BLA commander had been killed in the gunbattle on Wednesday night, but did not name him.

"[That group was] involved in kidnapping and killing of two labourers working on a under construction dam in Gwadar district," he told Reuters.

Gwadar hosts a newly constructed port that is the focus of the $46 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a project that would provide a trade route from western China through Pakistan to the Arabian Sea and beyond.

Security has been a major concern along the route, particularly in Balochistan. The military is raising a new division numbering an estimated 13,000 troops to maintain order along the CPEC.

TERROR BID FOILED

INP adds: The Frontier Corps (FC) foiled a massive terrorism bid as it seized an explosive laden vehicle and arrested a terrorist here on Thursday.

Spokesman of FC said that the paramilitary force reacting to an intelligence tip-off regarding presence of militants raided a compound in Gulistan area of district Qilla Abdullah, Balochistan.

An explosives laden vehicle parked in the compound was recovered and a terrorist stated to be member of a banned outfit was arrested. The vehicle was taken into custody and nabbed terrorist was shifted to an undisclosed location for interrogation.

FC spokesman said that the recovered explosives material was to be used in conducting major terror attacks in different areas of the province but timely action foiled the bid.