MIRPURKHAS/NAWABSHAH – On the call of Save Sindh Committee, protest rallies and demonstrations continued in Interior Sindh Wednesday against the imposing the disputed local government system.

In Mirpurkhas, a leader of the Sindh Tarraqi Pasand Party was killed when someone opened fires on a rally of Save Sindh Committee taken out in Dighri Town to protest against the new local government system introduced by the present government in the province. Malik Nohani was the former district president of the STPP.

The fires were opened on the protesters when they reached near the residence of PPP MPA Mir Haji Hayyat Khan Talpur. There were conflicting reports about firing, as the initial reports suggested that the STPP leader was killed in police firing however other report alleged that one Qadan Nohani, a guard of the MPA had opened fires on protesters that killed the leader while the guard also received bullet injuries in fires made in retaliation.

The Dighri Town, Tando Jan Muhammad, Naukot and Mithi towns were closed soon as the report of killing of the STPP leader reached there. As the incident triggered protest in Mithi, the headquarter town of Tharparkar district, the police arrested six activists of the STPP.

The STPP chairman Dr. Qadir Magsi has also given protest call after killing of his party leader in Dighri and a result Naushehro Feroze was shut in protest, where earlier in the day rallies were taken out by the JSQM, NPP, PML-N, PML-F, STPP and other parties against the new LG system. The protesters set the effigies of the PPP and MQM leaders on fire.

In Sehwan Sharif, the member organisations of Save Sindh Committee took out rallies and staged demonstrations. They chanted slogans against those law-makers who passed LG law in Sindh assembly. They also burnt the PPP flags and demanded rescinding new LG law or otherwise warned of continuing agitation. The activists of the Sindh United Party, PML-N, PML-F and others holding placards staged sit-in outside the local press club. The Sehwan town was closed against new LG system. The Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz also organised a rally and marched at different roads to condemn killing of the JSQM activist in police firing in Nawabshah. The hundreds of the JSQM workers chanted slogans against police and staged sit-in at VIP road.

Similarly, Nawabshah remained closed on the third consecutive day in connection with the ongoing protest of the nationalist parties against the SPLGO recently passed by Sindh Assembly. All markets and bazaar remained closed, while police and Rangers patrolled the town. However, after violence of two days that claimed at least two lives, the town remained relatively peaceful. Surrounding towns and villages including Daulatpur, Daur, Bhandhi, Sakrand and Qazi Ahmed also remained closed.

Police and rangers held a flag march in Nawabshah. Police produced 20 activists of nationalists parties arrested under anti-terrorism act in court, which approved their judicial remand for 7 days.

Meanwhile, Jeay Sindh Tehreek chairman Dr Safdar Sarki visited the Peoples Medical College Hospital Nawabshah and inquired about health of the injured party activists admitted in the hospital. He said due to uncalled for firing of police, their activist died and 9 others sustained injuries. He said their struggle against the SPLGO would continue.

Separately, Sakrand police on the complaint of SHO Ali Hassan lodged the FIR of murder of Jeay Sindh Quami Movement (JSQM) chief Bashir Qureshi. However, the JSQM leaders rejected the FIR and announced that they would file a case to lodge their FIR in the District Sessions court on October 15.