NEW DELHI -  Indian reports of killing two armed men during an attack on an army camp in Indian held Kashmir on Monday have turned out to be false.

Suspected militants fired on an army camp in Baramulla town late Sunday killing one trooper and injuring another, police said. Reports said an unknown number of militants tried to break through the camp's perimeter but were repelled by soldiers and paramilitares in heavy exchanges of fire.

Earlier reports in Indian media claimed that Indian soldiers had killed two attackers but Senior Superintendant Police Imtiaz Hussain said on Monday that the attackers succeeded to escape by taking advantage of the darkness.

The militants were hurling grenades during the attack, according to the Press Trust of India, although this could not be confirmed. Residents told local media of loud gunfire coming from the camp.

Early on Monday morning, soldiers were searching for the militants outside the Baramulla camp, located some 50 kilometres (34 miles) from Srinagar. A search operation launched by the Indian forces in the area following the attack has been concluded, Imtiaz said.

The attack comes after India last week claimed of launching "surgical strikes" in Azad Kashmir, prompting a furious response from Islamabad which exposed the Indian lies saying no said cross border raid had been conducted by India.

India initially claimed of airdropping the commandoes across the border and then said that it was ground operation. But Pakistan Army said that India had actually resorted to unprovoked cross border fire, which was effectively responded by Pakistani soldiers. Before this, Indian media had also falsely reported the killing of ten armed men during Uri attack.

A number of armed groups have for decades been fighting against Indian forces for independence of Kashmir.

Even before the Uri attack, tensions were high in the heavily militarised Kashmir region, with weeks of deadly protests in response to the killing of a young, popular freedom fighter Burhan Wani, who was killed by the Indian forces in July.

More than 100 civilians have been killed, mostly in clashes with forces during protests against Indian rule, in the worst violence in the region since 2010. Islamabad has repeatedly accused India of committing human rights abuses in the Muslim-majority state.