Rawalpindi - A clash erupted between the family of a young girl and doctors at Benazir Bhutto Hospital (BBH) over declaring the girl dead while she was alive.

The family including mother of the girl broke windowpanes of ICU, thrashed doctors and chanted slogans against Chief Minister Punjab Mian Shehbaz Sharif, Rawalpindi Medical College Principal and Allied Hospitals Chief, and Medical Superintendent BBH Dr Asif Qadir Mir.

Later, the family also intercepted Punjab Secretary Health Najam Shah, who was on an official visit to the city to review the efforts of health department to overwhelm dengue, and brought the matter into his notice. The secretary reprimanded RMC Principal Prof Dr Muhammad Umar and ordered an inquiry into the blunder committed by the doctors.

According to sources and family members, Hafsa Bibi, 19, was brought to BBH five days ago as she was suffering from high blood pressure. She was admitted at Intensive Caring Unit (ICU), they said.

They said on Monday morning doctors at ICU declared her dead and removed her from ventilator. However, Hafsa’s mother checked her pulse and found her alive. The mother and other family members raised hue and cry against the doctors attending the female patient. The protesting family scuffled with the hospital staff as they were forced to leave the ICU.

During the scuffle, windowpanes of the ICU were also broken.

The doctors later put Hafsa on the ventilator again and she was said to be out of danger. The protesting family later intercepted Secretary Health Najam Shah, who was on official visit of AHs, outside the ICU and told him the whole story.

The secretary health directed RMC Principal and Chief Executive AHs Prof Dr Muhammad Umer to carry out a detailed inquiry and fix the responsibility. Najam Shah also directed the principal to submit the inquiry report within 48 hours.

Separately, the Secretary visited Holy Family Hospital and took serious note of missing facilities at gynaecology ward. The secretary received complaints that ACs and ceiling fans in the wards were not working.

He also took serious note of water shortage in the HFH and directed the administration to solve the problems immediately.  The RMC principal and MS BBH were not available for their comments.