KABUL (AFP) - The German Defence Minister said in Kabul Wednesday that calls in Germany for troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan because of recent attacks would only heighten risks for the soldiers. Franz Josef Jung was in the capital a day after visiting German troops in the northern town of Kunduz, where one was killed and three wounded in an attack claimed by the insurgent Taliban movement last week. The killing has fuelled debate in Germany about whether the country's roughly 3,500 soldiers in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) should be pulled out of the country. But such talk would only encourage the militants, who are carrying out the attacks to force international troops to leave, Jung told reporters after talks with ISAF commander US General David D McKiernan. "Those who push such discussions in Germany, in my opinion, only increase the danger for our soldiers," said Jung, who met President Hamid Karzai earlier in the day. Any troop pullout would mean that "those who for example carry out attacks on the German army in order to influence such a debate would reach their goals." Such discussions are "absolutely counterproductive", the Minister said. He acknowledged however "a worsening security situation" in Afghanistan. Asked if ISAF soldiers were involved in a "war" in Afghanistan, McKiernan said: "It is a war against the insurgents and a war for the future of Afghanistan. "We are fighting, and that requires soldiers and airmen to be able to defend themselves and it requires them to be able to use combat skills," he said. Meanwhile, Germany confirmed it had paid "compensation" to relatives of a woman and two children shot dead last week at a checkpoint manned by its soldiers in northern Afghanistan. The payment and an apology for last Thursday's incident has prevented members of the family issuing a "vendetta" against German soldiers in revenge, defence ministry spokesman Christian Dienst said. In Brussels, a US general said Wednesday that he expected the numbers of the Afghan army to swell by nearly double to more than 130,000 troops. "We envisage a 122,000-strong structure, with a total of 134,000 personnel, the extra 12.000 allowing to keep a lot of people in school and training," Maj-Gen Robert Cone said. However Cone, who is in charge of helping to train the Afghan army, did not say how long he expected it to take to assemble a force of 134,000. Originally some 90,000 troops was targeted by 2009. "There has been a growing trend in enemy (Taliban) activities," he said. "The Afghans feel very strongly about their ability to defend their country," he said. "I personally believe the best people to defend Afghanistan are Afghans." He said that the Afghan forces now even had an "air corps", dedicated primarily to transporting troops and equipment. NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has about 53,000 troops operating in the country under a UN mandate to help give security support to the Afghan government. There are a further 17,000 troops in an international coalition, under direct US command, charged more specifically with hunting down Al Qaeda extremists.