MARDAN - Mardan remains in the grip of sorrow, as emotional scenes of sobbing, weeping and wailing can still be witnessed after the suicide attack on district court occurred on Friday morning. 13 people including three cops were killed and over 54 people got injured in the attack.

Funeral prayers of all the martyrs were offered in different parts of the district. Counter terrorism department (CTD) registered the first information report (FIR) of suicide attack against unknown attackers. Flesh and blood-stained walls of the court and lawyers offices, books, desk, shoes and chairs of lawyers created a distressed atmosphere.

Even after 24 hours of the incident, pieces of windowpanes and dried human blood in the local court could be seen.

A reeking smell of blood could also be felt on the spot. The offices of lawyers were full of ball-bearing marks. The main gate of the local court where the suicide attack occurred was covered with cloth and also closed for visitors.

Funeral prayers of the three cops, Constable Ishtiaq, resident of Ghari Ismailzai, Junaid, resident of Toru and Mohammad Azam, resident of Ghari Ismail were offered at police line on Friday.

The Chief of Army Staff, General Raheel Sharif, KP Chief Minister, Parveez Khattak, Police Chief Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Nasir Khan Durani and other police officials attended the funeral prayers.

Funeral of the martyred ANP leader Arshid Ahmed Khan former chairman of municipal committee was offered at Fazl-e-Haq College Road, large number of ANP leaders and workers attended his funeral prayers.

Another Awami National Party (ANP) provincial council member Saeed Akbar Khan advocate funeral prayer was offered at his village Shankar.

Funeral prayer of Yousaf Ali Shah Bacha advocate activist of Jumat-e-Islami (JI) was offered at Gujjar Ghari, funeral payer of Ilyas Sani advocate who was teaching assistant in law department at (AWKU) was offered at Rurya Jadid.

Funeral prayer of Abdullah Shah, clerk of senior lawyer Sohaib Akhtar Advocate was offered at Hoti, Funeral prayer of a motorbike mechanic named Lal Bahadur was offered at Khoro Chowk Dubyan. 

Majority of the funereal prayers were offered in the evening. The martyred were laid to rest in their ancestral graveyard. Relatives and people belonging to different walks of life attended the last rituals of the martyred.

Meanwhile, large number of people including different political party leaders, elected members visited the houses of martyred and expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives.

Meanwhile, on the complaint of Station House Officer (SHO) City police station, Ashiq Hussain, counter terrorism department (CTD) registered case against unknown suicide attacker.

Ashiq Hussain told CTD official that he was busy in checking the security of government building when he heard a huge bang. He added that when he reached the local court, he came to know that unknown suicide attacker threw hand grenade on police performing security duty at the main gate of the courts.

He told CTD official that due to grenade attack, the cops got injured, later on the suicide attacker entered the court premises and blew himself up, and as a result lawyers and other people martyred and got injured. However, he did not mention the number of martyred and injured people in the FIR.

CTD official registered case against unknown suicide attacker under section 302, 324, 427,535, ¾ Exp sub act and 7ATA.

Sources added that CTD Inspector Mohammad Iqbal Khan has started investigation of the suicide attack on local court. However, soon after the incident, DPO Faisal Shahzad told the media that the suicide attacker blew up due to the firing of on duty cops.

Moreover, lawyers announced three-day mourning as protest against the suicide attack and also boycotted the court processions. Lawyers offered Fatiha Khwani for the martyred lawyers at bar room.

Large number of elected representatives and people belonging to different walks of life visited bar room Mardan and expressed grief and sorrow over loss of precious lives in terror attack. 

Talking to The Nation, District Bar Association (DBA) President Ameer Hussain Advocate said that DBA has announced three days mourning and they will also boycott the court proceeding.

He added that after Monday with the support of District Bar Association (DBA) members, he will call meeting of DBA and will announce his future plan, however, he added that security of the court was on red alert during the incident and there was no security lapse.

Meanwhile on the call of Markaz-e-Tanzeem-e-Tajiran (MTT) complete shutter down strike was observed in all over the city to show solidarity with the families of martyred.