SEOUL (AFP) - North Korea kept the world guessing about its planned satellite launch Saturday after the first day of a scheduled five-day launch period passed without blast-off. Officials in Seoul and Tokyo speculated that bad weather caused Pyongyang to delay what the United States and its regional allies see as a disguised ballistic missile test. The prediction of a launch today had seemed quite plausible but the weather conditions seemingly were not that good at the launch base, an unidentified official told Yonhap news agency. In Tokyo senior cabinet official Kyoji Yanagisawa told Jiji Press: We can imagine strong winds or some troubles with equipment, but we have no information at all. South Koreas weather agency said skies over the Musudan-ri site near the northeast coast were cloudy Saturday, with fairly strong winds that would abate Sunday. Yonhap, quoting a government source, said workers had installed cameras at the site and repeatedly opened and closed the cover atop the three-stage rocket. In Japan, which is under the projected flight path, a government crisis centre announced at 12:16 pm that the rocket was believed launched, but five minutes later retracted its statement as incorrect. The country heaved a sigh of relief after the launch window passed. Its good to see no launch although we dont know why, Japanese Foreign Minister Hirofumi Nakasone told reporters. I hope it wont happen tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. The communist state last month notified world aviation and shipping agencies it would fire the rocket sometime between April 4 and 8 and between 11:00am and 4:00pm (0200 and 0700 GMT). South Korean security ministers ended an emergency meeting chaired by President Lee Myung-Bak at 4:00 pm. Preparations to launch an experimental communications satellite have been completed and it will be launched soon, the state Korean Central News Agency announced earlier in the day, saying the dates and times were still in effect. It said the satellite would be carried by an Unha-2 (Galaxy-2) rocket-known in the West as the Taepodong-2, which could theoretically reach Alaska or Hawaii at maximum range. The North says it is pursuing its right to a peaceful space programme. Washington, Seoul and Tokyo say firing a rocket for any reason would breach a UN resolution passed after the Norths 2006 missile and nuclear tests and vow to report it to the Security Council. Pyongyang has said even a debate in the Council on the subject would cause the breakdown of long-running six-nation nuclear disarmament talks. South Korea, the United States and Japan have deployed missile-tracking Aegis warships to monitor the flight path. Russian forces are on full alert for a blast-off, an air force spokesman was quoted as saying Saturday. Sergei Rosha told the Vesti-24 television channel that their S-300 missiles could hit a target at any altitude, adding, The main objective is to stop the rocket falling to earth and killing someone. North Korea has said the rockets first stage will fall in the sea 75 kilometres (47 miles) west of Japan and the second stage will plunge into the Pacific. Russias foreign ministry said minister Sergei Lavrov had discussed the situation with his US counterpart, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, but gave no details of their conversation. US President Barack Obama earlier urged Kim Jong-Ils regime to hold back. We have made very clear to the North Koreans that their missile launch is provocative, he said Friday in Strasbourg. Should North Korea decide to take this action, we will work with all interested parties in the international community to take appropriate steps to let North Korea know that it cant threaten the safety and security of other countries with impunity. Obamas special envoy for North Korea Stephen Bosworth gave an apparently softer message, saying in Washington Friday his goal is to resume the stalled six-nation talks regardless of any launch. Analysts say a successful launch would give the regime a major propaganda boost amid lingering uncertainty over Kim Jong-Ils health, following reports that he suffered a stroke last August. The launch aims to persuade the new US administration to open direct talks with Pyongyang, and will strengthen the regimes hand in future nuclear negotiations, they say. The North tested a Taepodong-2 for the first time in July 2006 but it failed after 40 seconds. China is thought likely to block any bid for new UN sanctions. The Security Council could toughen observance of existing measures-which ban trade in missile components, other weapons and luxury goods-or issue a chairmans statement criticising Pyongyang.