CONAKRY (Reuters) - Guinea junta chief Captain Moussa Dadis Camara flew to Morocco on Friday for hospital treatment after being wounded in a gun attack by a former military aide, Moroccan authorities said. Guineas leadership played down the extent of Camaras injuries and denied his departure left a power vacuum in the unstable West African nation, the worlds top exporter of the aluminium ore bauxite. His powerful deputy Sekouba Konate returned to the capital Conakry from a trip abroad. But Camaras evacuation for treatment in Moroccos main military hospital raised questions about his future, with many observers believing he may not return to Guinea and could be persuaded to take exile. No bullet penetrated the presidents body. There was just a graze on the head, Communications Minister Idrissa Cherif said of the attack in Conakry late on Thursday. Power is in the hands of the CNDD (junta) and the government, he told Reuters of the regime which Camara created after a bloodless coup in December 2008 that followed the death of strongman leader Lansana Conte. However, a diplomat in Guinea said: If he leaves the country, that would be it for him. Metals analysts said prices of aluminium could be boosted if Guineas troubles escalate, but said there was no lack of global supply and so the impact would be limited for now. Camara was rushed to the Hay Riyad military hospital outside the capital Rabat for treatment on what the Moroccan Foreign Ministry there said were strictly humanitarian grounds. Morocco has been a longstanding destination for West Africas elite to seek medical care. Officials there did not comment on his injuries. Political analysts have said any outbreak of wider unrest in Guinea threatens to destabilise neighbours Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone and Liberia, still recovering from civil wars that ended earlier this decade. Ex-colonial power France, which cut off defence ties with Guinea after a September 28 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters that witnesses said claimed more than 150 lives, said it had received reassuring news about the safety of the French community in Guinea since Thursdays incident. The attack on Camara happened as U.N. investigators in Conakry wound up their inquiry into the September 28 killings, which could lead to international prosecutions of those responsible. A junta statement late on Thursday said Lieutenant Aboubacar Toumba Diakite, Camaras former aide de camp and the soldier named by witnesses as a leading figure in the September killings, had carried out the gun attack on Camara. Sources in Conakry said tensions had been mounting for weeks between Camara and Toumba, who suspected that he would be made to shoulder the blame for the massacre. This was the only way out for him (Camara), one diplomat added of the theory that Camara would try to implicate Toumba in the September 28 killings and so remove any blame from himself. Residents said Conkary was calm on Friday but there were conflicting reports as to whether Toumba was still at large. Konate, Camaras deputy, widely known as El Tigre because of his ferocity in combat against rebels in 2000 and 2001, returned to Conakry on Friday after a trip to Lebanon, sources close to Konate said.