BRUSSELS/WASHINGTON (Reuters/AFP) - Twenty-five Nato allies promised on Friday to send around 7,000 more troops to Afghanistan, backing President Barack Obamas new war strategy and reinforcing efforts to defeat the Taliban. The extra commitment fell short of the 10,000 troops Pentagon officials had originally hoped for and did not account for some 4,900 Dutch and Canadian troops already due to leave the field in 2010 and 2011. After a day of meetings to sell Obamas new strategy, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she was pleased with significant contributions of both combat troops and trainers, which Washington hopes will allow Afghan forces to begin taking over security responsibility by mid-2011. This is a crucial test for Nato which has been the greatest and most successful military alliance in history, Hillary told a news conference, thanking Nato members for their contribution. Nato Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said more countries could join the 25 promising to contribute new troops in the next few months. Despite the headline figure of 7,000 extra forces announced by Rasmussen, a breakdown of the numbers provided by Nato sources showed pledges for only 5,500 troops, with 1,500 more to be confirmed later. And of the 5,500, at least 1,500 are already in the country and will not now be withdrawn as planned, Nato sources said. The Canadian and Dutch withdrawals, which will see some of the most battle-hardened forces leave, will also dent the non-US contribution, US officials conceded. Rasmussen said the extra troops, which would raise the total number of foreign forces in Afghanistan to around 140,000, would help to tackle the insurgency, but would not be enough to defeat it alone. There are no silver bullets, no magic solutions. It will still take more time, more commitment and more patience to reach our shared goal, he said. Rasmussen laid out what he called a new road map for Nato operations, involving more soldiers, more aid and more training for Afghan security forces, as well as efforts to reintegrate Taliban fighters who agree to lay down their arms. But even with the extra manpower, the Nato alliance faces a struggle to coordinate its efforts and regain the upper hand against an insurgency that has expanded into previously stable regions of Afghanistan and built strongholds inside Pakistan. US officials have been scrambling to back away from suggestions that mid-2011 has been set as a firm date for the start of a troop withdrawal, even if some of the extra U.S. troops being sent could start to pull out by then. Rasmussen said any withdrawal should not be seen as the international coalition abandoning the country. Transition doesnt mean exit, he said. There should be no misunderstanding: we are not going to leave Afghanistan to fall back into the hands of terrorists and the extremists who host them. It will not happen. Meanwhile, US National Security Advisor General James Jones said Friday the United States has no intention of leaving Afghanistan in the near future and certainly not in 2011. We are very confident that with the addition of 30,000 US troops and a significant increase in Nato and non-Nato contributing countries we will be able to achieve the conditions by which the Afghans will be able to take more responsibility for the conduct of their internal affairs, he told journalists in Washington. But Jones warned that the mission cannot just go on forever. And the President has decided to focus everyones attention on a reasonable timeframe in which we will see real change.