Shah-e-Hamadan Masjid and Khanqah is one of the oldest mosques in Kashmir, located in the Old City of Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India. Situated on the right bank of the river Jhelum between the Fateh Kadal and Zaina Kadal bridges, it was first built in 1395 CE, commissioned by Sultan Sikendar. It is one of the best examples of Kashmiri wooden architecture, and is decorated with papier mache. The mosque was commissioned by Sultan Sikandar Butshikan in 1395 CE in memory of the Islamic preacher Mir Sayyid Ali Hamadani, the central figure involved in the widespread conversion to Islam in Kashmir. Also known as Shah-e-Hamadan (the King of Hamadan), the preacher came to Kashmir from the city of Hamadan in Persia in the 14th century. He is credited for the spread of Islam in Kashmir. In 1480 AD, the shrine was destroyed due to fire. The then ruler, Sultan Hassan Shah, expanded its premises and rebuilt it. In 1731 AD, the Khanqah was again destroyed by fire and then rebuilt by Abdul Barkat Khan. Hindu extremists have tried to claim that the Mosque was built on a temple, yet another cunning and revisionist attempt to appropriate ancient Muslim holy places and mosques in Kashmir.