HANGU  - Funeral prayers of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf’s (PTI) assassinated lawmaker from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly were held at Darvezi Palosa area in Hangu district amid tight security arrangements on Tuesday.

The funeral prayers of slain Farid Khan were offered at 10 am. Party workers, tribal elders and a large number of local people attended the funeral procession amid tight security cover.

MPA Farid Khan, 42, was killed when armed men sprayed bullets on his vehicle near Shahi Mosque at Sangair locality in Hangu bazaar, when he along with his brother Shahnawaz and friend Mohammad Ayaz were on way home after offering Fateha for the departed soul of PTI worker at Spin Khawai village.

Resultantly, Farid Khan along with Shahnawaz and Mohammad Ayaz sustained multiple wounds and were rushed to District Headquarters Hospital Hangu, where Farid Khan and his friend Mohammad Ayaz were pronounced dead while his brother Shahnawaz was under treatment.

His death news spread like wildfire and prompted hundreds of people in Hangu to reach the hospital and Hangu bazaar where they torched half a dozen shops, resorted to aerial firing. A curfew was imposed in Hangu bazaar to avoid any untoward incident.

Police said shops remained closed as people were in state of shock and grief over the death of their MPA. A protest rally was also carried out in main Hangu bazaar in which people strongly condemned the killing of the MPA.

The slain Farid Khan belonged to a poor family of Rabiakhel tribe in Orakzai Agency. The residents of 29 villages had fielded him as their consensus candidate to contest the recently held election from PK-42 Hangu and got him elected as MPA. Farid Khan later joined the PTI. The security forces and police in a joint operation arrested a TTP commander Mufti Hamid, allegedly involved in the killing of Farid Khan, and shifted him to undisclosed location for interrogation. Local chapter of PTI also staged a protest demonstration to condemn the killing of party MPA.