THE assassination of two security personnel in Swat by miscreants has put the fate of the peace deal in jeopardy. Both sides have levelled charges against the other. The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the deaths, have said that it was the Army that violated the truce by carrying out a security patrol without prior information, which unnerved them and resulted in the ambush. TSNM Chief Maulana Sufi Muhammad, the man who brokered the peace deal, has held the Army responsible for violating the truce and threatened to abandon what he says is his peace mission. Denying that the Army had violated the peace accord, ISPR spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas clarified that the Army did inform the peace committee about its movements, which indicates that the fault in large part lies with the Taliban, who got impatient and opened fire. At present, both sides must realise that the peace accord in Swat has been negotiated after great efforts. It included backdoor channels like efforts by intermediaries like Maulana Sufi Muhammad to convince the militants to submit to the writ of the state. Getting the confidence of those who have been engaged in violence and taming them is no ordinary feat. What is more, to make the deal successful the government took great pains in convincing the US that the initiative would prove to be effective in restoring peace in the restive area. The peace agreement was not only hailed by sensible people from across the country, but most importantly it was also celebrated by Swatis, who for a considerably long period of time had been facing violence. Thousands of local residents, who had migrated to other places, returned in the hope that the truce would usher in an era of calm and stability. Thus both government and the Taliban must stay committed to the agreement and try to work for the cause of peace in the valley. Encounters like the one on Tuesday are impediments the area can ill afford.