LAHORE - On arrival back home in England, Chris Broad, the ICC referee supervising the split rubber between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, has roundly castigated the security - or to be more precise the lack of it. Though by now it is acknowledged by almost everybody even with rudimentary knowledge of security demands at such an event, a highly-placed source in the Pakistan Cricket Board backs Broad's assertion, maintaining that the Board had done everything in its capacity to remind the powers-that-be but its desperate fell on deaf ears. The people responsible for the deadly faux pas, according to this source, were the Punjab government and the police. "Given the security situation in the aftermath of removal of Shahbaz Sharif government, the PCB had its reservations on holding the Test match at Lahore. As such the Board had seriously contemplated moving the match from the city, and the two options discussed were staying on at Karachi, venue of the first Test, for this encounter as well, while the second option was holding the game in Faisalabad", divulged the source, maintaining that the PCB chairman Ijaz Butt had even taken President Asif Ali Zardari in to confidence in this regard. The feedback from the presidency and Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, said the source, was that the match must be held in Lahore with the proviso that the highest level of security would be provided. "That promise was not kept", said the source. Even if the claim of the PCB official sounds self-serving - for its intent definitely is deflecting even the partial responsibility from the Board - given the sensitivity of the tour and the negative fallout from the terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers and the ICC series officials, this accusation certainly begs investigation. And there are other facts that need to be looked into. For instance since the autumn of 2003, when Pakistan hosted a most reluctant South Africa for a Test and one-day rubber, there have been several high-profile series, each of them on average spanning between 45 days to a couple of months. In terms of importance none was higher than the one against India in 2004 after a 15-year interregnum, with England and India again in 2005-06 close on its heels. During these incident-free tours, international experts had deemed the security in this country to be top notch. The same was the case during the Asia Cup 2008. This time round when the tour was cleared from as high as president of Sri Lanka after prime minister of Pakistan had assured him of presidential security, and the interior ministry had reportedly issued unambiguous instructions in this regard, the questions that needs to be asked are: i) why were the VVIP protocols and the routines perfected during those previous tours were not followed at Lahore? ii) Why were the officers who had planned and supervised the security measures all those years not on board on this occasion? As it transpired, this scribe has learnt, Sohail Khan, the Punjab police officer, who had won such kudos as security boss from the Indians during the landmark 2004 rubber, was not released from duty in highway police though it was specifically demanded. "Such guys were well cognizant of specialised security demands on a cricket tour. Their absence from the scene was of critical import", concluded the PCB source.