LAHORE – National Accountability Bureau (NAB) authorities claimed on Sunday significant development in major scams under investigation, saying they had recovered Rs 40 million from four accused in the Pakistan Railways scandal through plea bargain, while 11 culprits had been arrested in the case with a total recovery of around Rs 70 million.

About the Double Shah case, wherein an amount of over Rs 10 billion was embezzled by Sibt-ul-Hassan alias Double Shah, it was said the court had already awarded punishment to the accused.

Double Shah had extorted the huge amount from more than 40,000 people on the promise of doubling their investment. The accused used to promise returns to his clients on their invested amount initially in 30 days and then in 90 days.

Another major scam of Haris Steel Mills was also finalised and a reference had been filed in the NAB court. It is worth mentioning that the Supreme Court had directed NAB authorities to file reference by February 9, while the order was implemented within the given period. The fraud involved Rs 9 billion wherein the top management of Bank of Punjab was also involved.

Talking about the recent transfer of 62 investigators, NAB Director Attiq-ur-Rehman said it was a part of service and these were made as per rotation policy.

Last week, 62 NAB officials - including seven deputy directors and 25 assistant directors - were transferred without giving any reason in the notifications. Among them, 23 are from Lahore serving in Grade 16 to 18.

“Director Generals shall ensure that all officers are relieved in time. This issue is with the approval of the competent authority,” stated the two-page notification obtained by TheNation.

The NAB director said hiring would be made on merit, which could take even six months.