rawalpindi - A 19-year-old boy died after falling from a double-storey building, allegedly in a bid to avoid being arrested by police, and four others sustained injuries in kite flying related incidents in various parts of the city, informed sources and police yesterday.

The death of boy sparked massive protest in the area with residents attacked police station and pelting cops with stones. Police have to resort to baton-charge and firing tear gas shells to disperse the agitators. The deceased was identified as Osama son of Tahir Hameed whereas the names of other injured could not be ascertained.

According to details, residents of Rawalpindi are celebrating Basant despite a strict ban imposed by the government and police over this activity. The sky was filled with colourful kites in areas of Tench Bhatta, Iqbal Colony, Chungi Number 22, Mohalla Aadra, Saddar, Misrial Road, Bakra Mandi, Tulsa, Dhoke Jumma, Morgah, Adaila Road, Lal Kurti, Dheri Hassan Abad and areas along Murree Road.

Sources said that a young boy Osama was flying kite on the rooftop of a double-storey building within limits of Police Station Race Course when a police raiding team raided the locality to arrest the kite flyers. Seeing the police party the boy got scared and he tried to escape. In this attempt, he fell down from the second floor of his house and died on the spot, sources added.

The sources said that irate area people surrounded PS Race Course and threw stones at police. However, cops remained unhurt. Some area people told The Nation that protestors beat cops. Police baton-charged and fired tear gas shells to disperse the protestors. Meanwhile, four other kite flyers sustained critical injuries and were shifted to hospitals for treatment.

City Police Officer Israr Ahmed Khan Abbasi, when contacted, said that a police party was passing near the house of the victim to arrest kits flyers when he assumed that police would arrest him. “The boy tried to run when his foot slipped from stairs and he fell down and died,” the CPO said adding that a small number of people surrounded police station and pelted police with stones.

On a query, Israr replied no body tried to torch police station but hurled stones at police.