According to a press report, the financial experts meeting at the World Bank headquarters in Washington has warned that the world is moving towards a food crisis. Pakistan has been listed amongst 36 food deficit countries. At the present rate, Pakistan's population of 160 million will double in less than 40 years. The food crisis in the country is thus likely to become more acute with time. Pakistan is an arid country. Most areas in the country receive less than 200 mm annual rainfall. Our land area is approximately 80 million hectares, out of which about 22.1 million hectares (28%) are cultivated. The rest (72%) cannot be put to agricultural use, for lack of water. Our agriculture is dependant on river water. The flow of water in our rivers is seasonal. During the rainy season, surplus water flows into the sea. It makes sense to store this water to contribute to food production. While other considerations are also important, feeding the people should be at the top of our list of priorities. In view of the above, I would request my brethren in Sindh and NWFP to reconsider their opposition on the Kalabagh dam. -ASAF ALI SHAH, Lahore, via e-mail, April 18.