DOUBLE JERUSALEM - Israel is to free a Palestinian detainee who survived a two-month hunger strike later Wednesday after holding him for a year without trial, the prison service said.

Mohammed Allan was arrested in November 2014 and held under a measure known as administrative detention, which allows imprisonment without trial for six-month periods renewable indefinitely. In June, he began a two-month hunger strike that brought him near death and heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank.

Israel's High Court suspended his detention on August 19 as he was given medical treatment following his hunger strike, which twice left him in a coma. His detention was renewed in September after his health improved and he was discharged from hospital.

Allan then resumed his hunger strike, only to call it off two days later. Later in the month, the Israeli army announced his detention would not be renewed and he would be released on November 4. A prison service spokeswoman confirmed Allan would be released later on Wednesday, without providing further details.

The radical Islamic Jihad group says the 31-year-old lawyer from Einabus, near the northern West Bank city of Nablus, is a member. Israel's Shin Bet internal security agency says that before his arrest, Allan "was in contact with an Islamic Jihad terrorist" with the aim of carrying out large-scale attacks. He was previously imprisoned from 2006 to 2009 for allegedly seeking to recruit suicide bombers and aiding wanted Palestinians. Allan's release comes amid a wave of violence in the West Bank and Israel which has left nine Israelis, 68 Palestinians and an Arab Israeli dead since the start of October.

Moreover, Violence broke out Saturday in the flashpoint West Bank city of Hebron as Palestinians buried five teenagers killed in a wave of attacks and clashes with Israeli forces. The funerals came as Israeli border guards shot dead a Palestinian at a checkpoint between the West Bank and Israel after he allegedly tried to stab one of them, police said. The surge of unrest since early October has triggered fears of a third Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation by a generation gripped by despair and anger over stalled peace efforts.

Nine Israelis, 66 Palestinians and an Arab Israeli have been killed since the violence erupted in Jerusalem a month ago. The violence has spread to the West Bank, with daily protests and attacks on Israeli soldiers, and to the Gaza Strip, where there have been clashes with Israeli forces along the enclave's borders. Thousands of Palestinian mourners attended the funerals of the teenagers, two of whom were girls, in the southern West Bank city of Hebron, a powder-keg in the decades-old Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

They waved Palestinian flags and chanted "we will die but Palestine will live on". Clashes broke out between stone throwers and Israeli soldiers as the funerals began, and Palestinian medical sources said Israeli fire wounded 12 Palestinians. One Palestinian was buried separately in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem.

Israel has been withholding the bodies of suspected assailants as part of measures to dissuade attacks on Jews. On Friday, it said it had released seven bodies, apparently to ease tensions. Families of young people killed in the violence have clamoured for their bodies to be released and accuse authorities of "collective punishment". Ziad Natsheh, who buried his son Tareq, 17, said as he received condolences Saturday that he was relieved to give him a "dignified burial".

"Living in a country where there is nothing else but war, everyone expects to know death, injury or lose a child," said Natsheh.

Many attackers who have targeted Israeli forces come from Hebron, a stronghold of the Islamist movement Hamas. Hebron, home to a shrine known to Jews as Cave of the Patriarchs and to Muslims as the Ibrahimi Mosque, has 200,000 Palestinian residents.

But the presence of 500 Israeli settlers near the city centre, living behind barbed wire and watchtowers, with an army-patrolled buffer zone, has kept tensions high. On Friday, dozens of protesters outside the shrine condemned restrictions on access imposed by Israel, which has divided it into a mosque and a synagogue.

Media reported that more army checkpoints were being set up in Hebron at access points to Jewish areas, with Palestinians aged 15 to 25 not allowed to pass. Amnesty International has urged Israeli authorities to protect Palestinians in Hebron "from attacks by Israeli settlers", which the rights group says have "escalated" in less than a month.