LONDON (AFP) The chairman of a non-league English football club embroiled in the Pakistan cricket team 'fixing scandal is believed to have killed himself, it emerged Monday. Croydon Athletic chairman David Le Cluse, 44, was found dead on Saturday with gunshot wounds in a garage near his home in Sutton, south of London. The owner of the club, Mazhar Majeed, was arrested in August following allegations members of the Pakistan cricket team were involved in 'spot-fixing during their recent tour of England. Le Cluse, married with two children, was said by the teams former manager to have been deeply distressed when the side were linked to the accusations. A statement posted on the sides website said: Croydon Athletic are deeply shocked and saddened by the sudden tragic death of their chairman, David Le Cluse, on Saturday October 2. Our thoughts and prayers are with Davids wife and children, and we would ask everyone to respect their privacy at this devastating time for them. Croydon Athletics former manager Tim OShea told The Times: He was very upset at the allegations and the club getting involved. It probably hit him harder than most because of his personal friendship with Majeed. He wanted nothing more than for the club to succeed and he was probably upset and affected by it more than anybody else. Majeed was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers and released on bail following allegations first published in Britains News of the World Sunday tabloid hed been involved in a plot that led to Pakistan bowlers deliberately bowling no-balls during a Test match against England at Lords as part of a betting scam. In video footage football released by the paper, undercover reporters from the News of the World, posing as gamblers, alledgedly paid a middleman 150,000 pounds (238,000 dollars) on return for exact details of when the no-balls would be delivered. Le Cluses body was discovered in a garage in Park Gate Road, Sutton at 10.40am (0940GMT) on Saturday and the Metropolitan Police said: A 44-year-old man suffered what is believed to have been a gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The circumstances of his death are being treated as unexplained. Inquiries are ongoing.