LAHORE - The miseries of patients and their relatives at last come to an end as the doctors returned to their work on Monday evening after over 38 hours long strike, enabling full-fledged functioning of medical and surgical emergencies at Jinnah Hospital. Young Doctors Association called off strike at around 7:00 pm on Monday after successful dialogue with Special Secretary Health, Provincial Police Officer and Capital City Police Officer. The doctors agreed to return to their work after promise from the Police high ups to raise security by appointing more staff at Police check post and assurance from the health department to resolve their (medics) problems. Young doctors closed down both medical and surgical emergencies at Jinnah Hospital on Sunday morning soon after clash with the attendants of a female patient from Township. Though the hospital management partially opened both medical and surgical emergencies on Sunday evening by appointing senior registrars, the facility failed to cater the requirements of huge number of patients. Only partial working of emergencies caused hundreds of patients to rush to Sheikh Zayed Hospital and private healthcare centres in the close vicinity. The situation went out of control of the hospital management on Monday morning as on strike doctors closed major portion of Out Patients Department (OPD). The medics could not attend a single patient at Eye, ENT and Gynaecology OPD, causing the visiting people to go back without getting treatment and advice for their near and dear ones. Angry people were seen exchanging hot words with the hospital staff when they were forced to leave the OPD without getting treatment for their patients. Huge rush and relatively slow working at emergencies caused the people to either rush to other healthcare centres or wait for a long time for their turn. It is a pity that the doctors are not ready to attend patients till fulfilment of their demands. They should adopt other measures instead of stopping treatment of those who are already in pain. Emergency cannot be closed down even during war but who will tell the doctors about their responsibilities, said Muhammad Yasir Khan, relative of a female patient from Green Town. Scuffle and ultimate closure of emergency has become a routine matter for Jinnah Hospital. The emergency witnessed days long closure following a clash between doctors and attendants that later also caused thrashing of journalist on March 31. The emergency remained closed for about two hours following thrashing of doctors at the hand of a 'N' MNAs men on March 7. The management locked the hospital from inside following a terrorist attack on the hospital premises on June 1.