RAWALPINDI - A couple sustained severe burn wounds when fire broke out in a residential house due to leakage of gas here on Tuesday.

According to details, fire erupted on the first floor of a house located behind Rawalpindi High Court (RHC) building due to leakage of gas when a family lit matchstick. Fire brigades and Rescue 1122 reached the scene soon after the incident and started rescue operation.

The fire was brought under control after half an hour efforts.

Meanwhile, the house owner and his wife received burn wounds while other family members remained safe. The injured were shifted to burn unit of nearby hospital where according to hospital sources their condition was stable.