LAHORE - Mustafa Kanju, the son of a former minister and the main accused in a murder case, on Sunday confessed to firing that killed 13-year-old Zain Rauf after a minor road accident near Cavalry Ground in Lahore Cantt last week.

An anti-terrorism court (ATC) had sent Kanju and his guards on an eight-day physical remand after he and his three guards allegedly opened fire following an accident involving his vehicle and a motorcycle, killing Zain and wounding a passerby.

Kanju, the son of former state minister for foreign affairs Siddique Kanju, had escaped the scene and was on the run before police arrested him after carrying out several raids.

The accused was brought to the ATC on Friday where he said he had appeared in court to prove his innocence.

But police said on Sunday that Kanju has confessed to the crime during interrogation.

Police said that Kanju admitted he had fired the murder weapon, but claimed that teenager Zain Rauf was not his intended target.

Kanju said that he had neither consumed alcohol nor was he intoxicated during the incident, but had fired the weapon in fury, police claimed.

Police also claimed that Kanju’s fingerprints were found on the Kalashnikov rifle - the weapon which claimed Zain’s life.

Mastermind of Police Lines attack traced out

The alleged mastermind of Lahore police line attack has been traced out by intelligence agencies, a private TV reported on Sunday.

According to details, the suspect identified as Ziaullah belongs to Waziristan and is likely to be planning more attacks in the metropolis.

Moreover, Ziaullah was identified after the recognition of suicide attacker Sabir Shah who was a resident of Orakzai Agency whereas efforts are underway to nab the suspect.

At least five people including a policeman were killed and 25 got injured in a suicide blast outside Police Lines in Qila Gujar Singh area of Lahore.