QUETTA - A bomb, planted on the track, killed at least one train passenger and wounded eight others near Sibi yesterday.

The improvised explosive device exploded as Jaffar Express from Rawalpindi passed on it, 180 kilometres east of Quetta, local security official Naseerullah said. A passenger was killed and eight others were wounded, he said.

A three-foot section of the track was severely damaged by the bombing. The injured were taken to hospital in the town of Sibi, 25 kilometres north of the blast site. A Balochistan home department official in Quetta confirmed the details. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Taliban militants are active in the region.

According to Levis sources, the passenger train travelling from Rawalpindi to Quetta was in the Bakhtiarabad area when the bomb detonated. Unidentified attackers also fired indiscriminately at the train.

“The bomb had been planted on the railway track. It exploded when the train reached Bala Nari area,” SP Railways said. Three bogies of the train derailed as a result of the attack.

Unidentified terrorists fired three rockets one of which hit a bogie from an unidentified direction.

Rescue and security teams reached the site of the attack. Train service between Balochistan and other parts of the country remained suspended after the attack temporarily while law-enforcement personnel launched a search operation in the area following the attack.

Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Sanaullah Zehri strongly condemned the blast and directed the officials concerned to take stern action against those involved in the attack.



A police sub-inspector was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Killi Geo near Sariab area of provincial capital on Tuesday.

According to police sources, the victim identified as 40-year-old Doda Khan was on way to somewhere when two armed men riding a motorbike opened fire at him near Shahji Chowk and fled from the scene.

As a result, he died on the spot after receiving multiple bullet wounds. The body of the deceased was shifted to Bolan Medical Complex Hospital for legal formalities.

Police cordoned off the entire area and started search to trace out suspects.