A NATO airstrike killed eight civilians in Helmand, a district police chief said on Saturday, adding to a 2011 toll that is so far the deadliest for civilians in the decade-long war. The airstrike happened about 3 p.m. Friday in the Nad Ali district of Helmand after Taliban had attacked troops from the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in the area, said Nad Ali district police chief Shidi Khan. The victims on Friday were from one family that had recently fled fighting in neighboring Uruzghan province, Khan said. ISAF confirmed an airstrike was carried out after a coalition patrol came under attack. "Shortly after the engagement coalition forces received reports that civilians were being held captive by the insurgents and may have been present during the airstrike," an ISAF spokesman said. He said a team of coalition members met with local leaders and ISAF was assessing the incident.