BENGHAZI (AFP/Reuters) - A NATO raid killed Moamer Gaddafis son Khamis and more than 30 other people, rebels said Friday, as Tripoli accused the alliance of targeting civilian sites and trying to create a humanitarian crisis. Khamis Gaddafi, 28, was confirmed to be among the dead following a NATO air strike on a command centre in the western town of Zliten, a rebel spokesman told AFP, citing spies operating among Gaddafis ranks. Overnight there was an aircraft attack by NATO on the Gaddafi operations room in Zliten and there are around 32 Gaddafi troops killed. One of them is Khamis, said Mohammed Zawawi, a spokesman for the United Revolutionary Forces. However, a Libyan government spokesman on Friday denied reports that Muammar Gaddafis youngest son, brigade commander Khamis Gaddafi, had been killed in a NATO air strike. Its false news. They invented the news about Mr Khamis Gaddafi in Zlitan to cover up their killing, Moussa Ibrahim told Reuters in Tripoli. This is a dirty trick to cover up their crime in Zlitan and the killing of the al-Marabit family (a Libyan family). Rebels said their own operations room in eastern Libya had also intercepted radio chatter indicating Gaddafis son had been killed. There was no independent verification of his death, which has been rumoured a number of times during Libyas five month-long civil war. At the Naples headquarters of NATOs Libya operations, an official asked about the claim, said: Were looking into it. Khamis, who was trained at a Russian military academy, commands the eponymous and much-feared Khamis Brigade one of the Libyan regimes toughest fighting units. The strike appears to have come just hours after Tripoli took journalists on an escorted tour of the centre of Zliten, an effort to rubbish rebel claims the town was under attack. Fighters from the rebel enclave of Misrata announced this week they had made progress in Zliten, a strategic coastal town on the road to Tripoli. But authorities in Tripoli quickly denied that. On Thursday an AFP journalist saw the town centre was in the hands of regime forces, although intensive artillery fire was heard in the distance. Residents said the frontline is located at a distance of 10 to 15 kilometres east of the town centre while rebel official said they control three eastern neighbourhoods. State television reported meanwhile that NATO warplanes struck Tripoli early on Friday, as the Gaddafi regime accused rebels of sabotaging a key pipeline. feeding the countrys sole functioning refinery. About 10 loud explosions rocked the Libyan capital around 1:30 am (2330 GMT), an AFP journalist said. Shortly afterwards, Libyan television said civilian and military sites at the southeastern suburb of Khellat al-Ferjan had been targeted by the colonialist aggressor. Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaaim meanwhile said late Thursday that rebel forces had sabotaged a pipeline in the strategic Nefusa mountains, southeast of Tripoli. The rebels turned off a valve and poured cement over it, he said, adding that this would lead to a shortage of electricity in the capital as oil and gas were used at the Zawiyah refinery to generate power. Kaaim said food and medicine supplies were spoiling in the capital due to long power cuts. Tripoli residents complained Thursday of extensive blackouts and an acute shortage of gas canisters. NATO wants to create a humanitarian crisis in Libya while the aim of its mission is to protect civilians, Kaaim said. The Gaddafi regime tried Thursday to split the fractious Libyan opposition by claiming an alliance with Islamists.