LAHORE – Two alleged dacoits were shot dead during an ‘encounter’ with the police in the Mustafaabad area in the wee hours on Sunday.

Police investigators said the cops deployed at a picket near Chubacha Railway Crossing signalled two motorcyclists to stop for routine search, but instead they opened firing on the police team, which retaliated in the same manner in ‘self-defense’.

Subsequently, the two ‘dacoits’ sustained multiple bullet injuries and died instantly. The policemen, however, remained safe. Two cell phones, Rs8,000 cash and illegal firearms were also recovered from the possession of the alleged dacoits.

“They were dacoits and confronted police party after snatching cash and cell phone from a citizen named Shahzad,” SHO Ramazan Dogar told reporters. Sources said the deceased were in police custody for the last couple of days and police had closed the chapter of their life according to a preplanned drama of armed robbery.

“A high-level inquiry team led by DIG Major (r) Mubashir should be appointed to probe whether the encounter was genuine or fake,” a senior police officer commented. He alleged that Lahore Police high-ups were turning cops into assailants. Answering a query, the officer said even if they were dacoits they should have been presented in the court. Later, the bodies were removed to the City morgue for autopsy. No identification was made until the filing of this report.

Also, at least three people died in separate incidents in the City on Sunday. As per details, one Manzoor-ul-Hassan was shot dead by his rival Javed over a property dispute in the Ghaziabad area.

On the day of the incident, the duo exchanged hot words with each other. Police said Javed opened straight bullets on his rival, who sustained critical wounds and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he breathed his last. The body was handed over to the bereaved family after completing necessary medico-legal formalities. An FIR has been registered against the killer with no arrest so far.

Similarly, a 36-year-old Imran died because of alleged negligence of the doctors at a private hospital in Shadbagh. The deceased’s heirs alleged that doctors Muhammad Aslam and Nawaz Baloch administered a wrong injection that resulted in Imran’s instant death. An application was submitted by the bereaved family to book the accused doctors. Further investigation is underway.

Also, a seven-year old boy Saad succumbed to injuries shortly after he and his younger brother Abdullah were hit by an LDA truck in the Ghalib Market police area. Police said one Abdul Jabbar was going on a bicycle along with his sons. He was taking a turn near Canal Park when a rashly-driven truck collided with their bicycle.

Subsequently, the two minors sustained critical injuries and were shifted to a nearby hospital where Saad breathed his last. The driver of the truck has been booked and arrested for further investigation.

Meanwhile, the Anti-Car Lifting and Vehicle Staff (ACLVS) arrested an accused Yaseen Gujjar and recovered 106 bottles of liquor from his possession. The arrested man has confessed to the crime.

Also, a fire completely destroyed a paan shop in the Lorry Adda area on Sunday with no injury to anyone. Rescue officials said the fire broke out in a shop owned by one Attiq-ur-Rehman in the wee hours and reduced the valuables to ashes. No loss of life was reported in the incident.