Goods, clothes and other valuables worth millions of rupees were burnt to ashes when massive fire erupted in a gowdown here in Karachi Thursday-Friday midnight.

According to rescue sources, fire was caused due to electric short circuit in the godown in Korangi Industrial late night.

The clothes present in the gowdown helped the fire to spread rapidly and it engulfed the entire building within few minutes.

Fire brigades despite being informed timely reached the scene late and started rescue operation. The massive fire was brought under control after one hour hectic efforts.

Meantime, goods, clothes and other valuables worth millions of rupees were gutted.

The godown owner held Wapda and fire brigades equally responsible for his losses and demanded the provincial government for compensation.