KARACHI – Police have finally arrested the co-accused in the Shazaib murder case and issued red warrant for the arrest of the main accused who managed to escape aboard because of lethargic attitude of law-enforcement agencies.

After Supreme Court’s order, police high-ups had intensified a crackdown on culprits across the province and conducted scores of raids. Acting on a tip off, a special police team raided a slum, Moro, in interior Sindh and apprehended co-accused Siraj Talpur and his brother Sajjad Talpur. Police officials claimed they recovered two luxury vehicles (Prado) that had been used in the murder of Shazaib Khan, son of Deputy Superintendent of Police Orangzaib Khan.

The officials said these vehicles were owned by Shahrukh Jatoi’s close friend, Asif Lund. They claimed to have arrested his two brothers believing that Asif Lund and his two companions had fled to the UAE.

The arrested men were shifted to the Darakshan Police Station, Karachi, where during initial investigation they confessed that Siraj Talpur and his friend Shahrukh Jatoi, who were drunk, abused Shazaib’s sister in the elevator of a building housing their apartment. After some time, an angry Shazaib went up to them, they stated, adding that on the spur of the moment, Shahrukh took out his pistol and opened fire on him, causing his instant death. The next day, Shahrukh left the country.

The police also detained about half a dozen workers in a raid on Sikander Jatoi’s warehouse on National Highway in Bin Qasim area. A repeater, two motorcycles and number plates of vehicles were recovered during the raid and the warehouse was sealed off.

A copy of Shahrukh Jatoi’s passport obtained by the media revealed that he flew to the UAE two days after the killing. The FIA declined to own the responsibility and said the accused was free to leave the country because his name had not been put on the Exit Control List. It also said that the police did not inform it about the culprit.

Police sources said the Interpol had been contacted for the arrest of the main accused and relevant evidences had also been handed to it. The sources said the Interpol would examine the evidences before approaching the accused either through the United Nations or directly to the country where he had been hiding.

Sindh IGP Fayyaz Leghari meanwhile suspended Darakshan Police Station SHO Malik Saleem, Investigation Officer Aslam Khakhrani and SI Yasin. DSP Waseem Khawaja was transferred and asked to report to the Central Police Office.