KARACHI - An accountability court on Tuesday allowed the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to keep former federal minister Dr Asim Hussain in physical custody for 14 more days. The NAB prosecutor asked Administrative Judge Accountability Court Saad Qureshi for a 15-day extension in Dr Asim’s remand. Dr Asim , who is a Pakistan People’s Party leader, has been in NAB custody since December 11 last year. He is facing an inquiry into charges of misuse of authority in allotment of plots and encroachment of state land for Dr Ziauddin Hospital, kickbacks and commission through a fertiliser cartel for illegal curtailment, fraud with the public in the name of a charity hospital and money-laundering.

The prosecution said 80 per cent of the investigation against Dr Asim was complete and two more weeks were needed to complete the remaining probe.

Defence lawyers Amir Raza Naqvi and Anwar Mansoor Khan, however, cited pleaded for no further detention of their client, citing psychological pressure. Dr Asim was physically and mentally disturbed due to his detention, they added. They maintained that he was not required for the investigation any longer and asked for him to be sent to prison on judicial remand. Dr Haroon, who was ordered to conduct a psychological check-up of Dr Asim , in his report presented in the court, said he (Dr Asim) was under extreme mental stress and should be provided with a relaxed environment. He also recommended medical tests, including an MRI of Dr Asim . The court directed the NAB to conduct the recommended medical tests and investigations, take the reports to Dr Haroon and then comply with his directions. Meanwhile, a torture-marked body of an unknown person was found on Tuesday within the Shah Faisal Colony police jurisdiction in Karachi.

A passerby spotted the dead body in the bushes of Bhains Colony and informed the police. Police shifted the body to local hospital for medicolegal formalities.

According to police, the victim was kidnapped and tortured. He was later strangulated to death. The identity of the body could not be ascertained while the victim was 35 years old. It was later shifted to Edhi homes for identification, after the postmortem.