Washington - Twenty-seven people were killed and 25 more were wounded Sunday afternoon when a gunman opened fire inside a church outside of San Antonio, Texas. A two-year-old child was listed among those wounded in the shooting.

Authorities say that a gunman opened fire at congregants gathered inside the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs at approximately 11:30 am, half an hour after Sunday church services began.

One eyewitness said dozens of shots were fired during the attack. Neighbours living next to the church say they heard the gunman reload multiple times. The gunman is now dead, police say.

According to media reports, police said that there were “multiple victims” inside the church, and it was believed that as many as 52 people were shot in the attack, with as many as 27 killed.

Sheriff Joe Tackitt confirmed to Wilson County News that there were multiple fatalities in the shooting, and that officers were responsible for eliminating the gunman.

Wilson County Constable Thomas Silvas told Fox News that emergency response teams removed the bodies from the church. “Our prayers are with all who were harmed by this evil act,” tweeted Texas Governor Greg Abbott. “Our thanks to law enforcement for their response.”

The San Antonio FBI branch said its agents had been deployed, and there was no indication of the gunman’s motive. The FBI also said that while only one shooter was reported, it was looking into other possibilities.

President Donald Trump, who is on a visit to Japan, said he was monitoring the shooting tragedy at the small Texas church.

 

 

Agencies