LAHORE – The two men who drowned in Ravi River while trying to catch fish on Thursday had been recovered dead after hours-long search operation, rescue workers said on Friday.

Residents of Shera Kot, Furqan, 22, and his 18-year-old friend, Danish, were trying to catch fish in River Ravi when one of them jumped into the water. The other also jumped after him in an attempt to pull out his friend but both drowned. A good number of people gathered on the river banks and informed the rescuers about the incident on Thursday.

The divers of the Punjab Emergency Service (Rescue 1122) rushed to the scene and launched the search operation. The rescuers had to suspend the search operation on Thursday night because of zero visibility and other weather conditions.

On early Friday, the rescuers resumed the operation and managed to pull out the dead bodies from the deep waters. The rescue workers later handed over the dead bodies to the deceased’s families. Emotional scenes were witnessed at the operation site where the family members were anxiously waiting for their loved ones. Furqan was the student of BCom while Danish is said to be a schoolboy.

ELECTROCUTED: A mother of two was electrocuted to death under mysterious circumstances in the Kot Lakhpat area, police said on Friday. Parveen Bibi, 50, had been residing along with her young daughter and a son in Quaid-e-Millat Colony since she got separated from her husband, Abdul Hameed. Police said the woman was lying electrocuted to death on the bed near a pedestal fan as they reached the spot. The family alleged that the former husband of the deceased electrocuted her to death. The police have removed the body to the morgue for autopsy and are investigating.

SHOT DEAD: Five gunmen killed a man and wounded another three in the Ghaziabad area on Friday evening and fled away from the crime scene. The complainant, Muhammad Faryad, told the police that four people including Muhammad Ilyas, Malik Umair Mansoor, Malik Sarfraz and Habib were standing on a road in the A-block area when Faheem and Nadeem Jutt along with three accomplices appeared on the scene, opened straight fire on them and fled away.