The Islamabad High Court (IHC) resumed hearing on the petition filed by former prime minister Nawaz Sharif to transfer the remaining corruption references against him to another court.

Nawaz Sharif’s lawyers had filed an appeal in which it was requested that the court to transfer the Al-Azizia and Flagship Investment references from the Accountability Court-I of Mohammad Bashir to another court.

Furthermore, the Sharif family had petitioned against their convictions in the Avenfield reference.

IHC had unified the two references, which are being heard by a two-member bench comprising Justice Aamer Farooq and Justice Miangul Hassan Aurangzeb.

During Monday's proceedings, National Accountability Bureau (NAB) prosecutor Sardar Muzaffar Abbasi argued that case transfer was not possible post-indictment. He said that Judge Bashir had been hearing the defence's arguments in Al-Azizia and Flagship references for 10 months. 

Justice Aurangzeb observed that the evidence was interlinked in all three corruption references. "How can these interrelated facts be separated? This case is not ordinary in nature. It cannot be compared to the cases we hear on a daily basis," he noted.

The NAB prosecutor then pointed out that the defence had not petitioned in the Supreme Court against rejection of the plea to unite all three references.

He argued, once the accused is indicted then the reference cannot be transferred. 

Earlier, the Sharif family had challenged their imprisonment in the Islamabad High Court (IHC) in which it was highlighted the legal flaws in the Avenfield judgement and requesting for the accountability court's verdict to be declared null and void and the three convicts to be released on bail.

Prior to that, on July 6, the Accountability Court had sentenced Nawaz to a total of 11 years in prison and imposed fine  of £8 million (Rs1.3 billion) in the corruption reference, while his daughter Maryam was sentenced to eight years with a £2 million fine (Rs335 million). Nawaz's son-in-law Capt (retired) Safdar was also given a one-year sentence without any fine.