ISLAMABAD - Pakistan WAPDA claimed the Pakistan Premier Football League 2008 title by beating Army in the last fixture of the national soccer event at Army Stadium, Rawalpindi on Saturday. Sahiwal - born stopper Ishfaq Ahmed was the lone goal scorer for the Pakistan Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) in their last competitions. It was their recorded seventh national football title by overcoming Pakistan Army 1-0. They already enjoyed this honour in 1983, 1991, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2007. President, Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat graced the final as a chief guest, who entered in the arena when referee whistled after completing 90 minutes game. He distributed the cash awards and trophies among the top three teams and best athletes of the national championship. WAPDA got the winning trophy and gold medals from chief guest with cash award of Rs.0.5 million while runner ups Pakistan Army pocketed Rs.300, 000. Khan Research Laboratories (KRL), who grabbed bronze medal, received Rs.200, 000 from the hands of chief guest. Meanwhile, KRL's central-defender Samar Ishaq was declared Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the league and he pocketed Rs.100, 000 while leading marksman Muhammad Rasool (KRL, 22 goals) and best goal-keeper Abdul Aziz (WAPDA) took Rs.50, 000 each. In order to promote sportsmanship, head of the PFF had also decided to hand over Rs.100, 000 to winner of Fair Play Trophy and Afghan Football Club of Chaman deserved the award with sportsmanship throughout 138-day show. The newly introduced awards of best match commissioner and best referee went into pockets of Ali Nawaz and Rauf Bari respectively. Both received Rs.50, 000 each. Earlier, The first half saw cautious display from both outfits. WAPDA's keeper Abdul Aziz once again showed his agility under the bar and deserved best goalkeeper award. He proved too good for Army's strikers Sharjeel Vicky, Imran Hussain and Adnan Bari. South Asian Games gold medallist 2006, Mehmood Ahmed also played well. He conceded solitary goal in the 37th minute when substitute midfielder Jamshed Anwar curled the corner from right wing and Ishfaq, skipper of Pakistan Olympic team five years ago at Syria, rose high above everybody to send the ball past Mehmood's right hand. It was only goal of Ishfaq in the marathon League. WAPDA led 1-0 at interval and could have scored more goals in second session but Arif floored opportunities in the 61st, 82nd and 85th minute when Mehmood was out of place. Babar Mehmnood-led Army had dismal second session and their work became more hard when WAPDA's coach Khalid Butt asked seasoned Tanveer Ahmed to make 5-man defender line-up Muhammad Shahid, Naveed Akram, Ishfaq and Akram Masih. The soldiers managed 50 points from their 26 matches while WAPDA, who never missed the top two slots since 2001, secured 54 points from as many matches. Pakistan WAPDA became third successful team of National Championship with seven titles, after table-topper Pakistan International Airlines (9 titles) and Punjab (8 titles). Karachi lifted the title six times while Pakistan Army collected the title four times, ABL and Balochistan won the top berth thrice, followed by two-times champion Dhaka, Sindh, Pakistan Railways, Faisalabad's Crescent Textile Mills. Peshawar, East Pakistan, Chittagong, Habib Bank Limited, Quetta and Pakistan Air Force managed to win the national event once. Imtiaz Ali Shah supervised the match with the assistance of two linemen Muhammad Saleem and Muhammad Ali Junior, as Qazi Muhammad Asif acted as match commissioner while Tahir Pervez was fourth official. Former Director General, Pakistan Sports Board Arif Mehmud Siddiqui, Director Operation Pakistan Sports Trust Col. Muhammad Yahya, Col Salahuddin Ex-DG-PSB, Secretary PFF Col Ahmed Yar Lodhi, Director Media PFF for Rawalpindi / Islamabad Irfan Naizi, President and Islamabad Football Association Dr. Fazal ur Rehman were present on this occasion.