MALABO - Missile-throwing home spectators caused a long and chaotic second-half delay as Ghana set up an Africa Cup of Nations final with Ivory Coast by outplaying hosts Equatorial Guinea 3-0 Thursday. Play was halted eight minutes from time as disgruntled home fans flung various objects on the pitch and a break of more than 35 minutes ensued before order was restored and play resumed.

A police helicopter flew low over the ground while Ghanaian supporters, feeling threatened by the home crowd, spilled into the area surrounding the pitch at the 15,000-seat Estadio de Malabo. A Ghana Football Association tweet read: "Police helicopter hovers above the pitch with the Ghana fans in real danger. It's now like a war zone."

Players, coaches and the match officials stood on the pitch throughout the drama while slow-reacting security officials ushered Ghanaian supporters into one section of the ground. Although the game was stopped on 82 minutes, the Gabonese referee played only a few minutes before ending the one-sided game.

"I am worried for our supporters," said Andre Ayew who scored the third goal. "When we saw the helicopter, the fans were getting injured. I am very disappointed and very bitter." There were also reports of tear gas being used to quell the violence. The crowd trouble followed a controversial quarter-final last Saturday in which Equatorial Guinea scored off a dubiously-awarded stoppage-time penalty en route to shock 2-1 win over Tunisia.

Jordan Ayew converted a 42nd-minute penalty for Ghana, Mubarak Wakaso struck a minute into first-half stoppage time and Andre Ayew tapped in on 75 minutes of the semi-final. The final in port city Bata Sunday will be a repeat of the 1992 final won 11-10 on penalties by Ivory Coast after 120 goalless minutes in Dakar. That was the Ivorians' lone Cup of Nations title while Ghana have won the African football showpiece four times, although the last triumph came in Tripoli 33 years ago.

Equatorial Guinea, who exceeded expectations by reaching the semi-finals, face the Democratic Republic of Congo in Malabo Saturday for third place. However, after Thursday's shambolic scenes, it remains to be seen whether or not that match will be played at the venue. Ghana began the match without captain and star striker Asamoah Gyan, who was named among the substitutes having not fully recovered from an abdominal injury.

But the absence of the Black Stars' talisman was hardly noticed as two late first-half goals gave the four-time African champions a 2-0 half-time advantage. The gap in class -- Ghana are 81 places higher on the FIFA world rankings -- was often glaringly obvious with the Black Stars retaining possession while Equatorial Guinea surrendered the ball cheaply. Ghana had more rhythm and penetration and it came as no surprise when they took the lead three minutes before half-time.

Kwesi Appiah and Felipe Ovono collided as they chased after a delicate pass into the box and the referee judged that the goalkeeper had committed a foul and flashed a yellow card. Up stepped Jordan Ayew -- younger brother of Andre and son of Ghana legend Abedi 'Pele' Ayew -- to calmly slot the ball into the right corner as Ovono moved in the opposite direction.

Ghana doubled the advantage a minute into stoppage-time as the home side were caught cold by a swift counterattack and Wakaso fired into the net from close range. The third goal came when an Ovono block ran loose to Appiah, whose low cross was side-footed over the line by Andre Ayew from close range.

Equatorial Guinea fined $100,000 for fans trouble

African football chiefs on Friday hit Equatorial Guinea with a $100,000 fine for unrest in a Africa Cup of Nations semi-final in which 36 fans were injured. But the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said that despite disturbances blamed on Equatorial Guinea fans in Thursday's semi-final defeat to Ghana, supporters would be allowed into the country's third-place play off against Democratic Republic of Congo on Saturday. CAF meted out the fine to the Nations Cup hosts "for aggressive behaviour and being repeat offenders" for crowd trouble, said a confederation statement. An order to play Saturday's third place playoff behind closed doors was suspended "to promote a spirit of Fair-play and brotherhood during the AFCON2015". But CAF made it clear that if there was more unrest then it would "automatically impose the sanction of playing behind closed doors the Equatorial Guinean team's next official match". Saturday's play-off is being held at the same 15,000-seater stadium in Malabo where Equatorial Guinea's supporters pelted Ghanaian fans with plastic bottles and chairs on Thursday night. The game was halted for over half an hour with Ghana eventually winning 3-0 to set up a final on Sunday with Ivory Coast in Bata. As the missiles rained down, the 500 visiting Ghana fans poured onto the pitch and play was halted eight minutes from time as security officials battled to regain control. The Ghana Football Association (GFA) described the scene as a "war zone."