LAHORE The Punjab government on Tuesday has assured the Punjab Assembly members that the government is making earnest efforts for the betterment of the agriculture sector, while steps taken during the last two years have enhanced wheat and paddy production to record volumes. This was done by provincial Minister for Agriculture Ahmed Ali Aulakh, while replying to queries posed by members on the Private Members Day during the Question-Hour on the Agriculture Department. He also mentioned that during the recently passed provincial fiscal outlay 2010-11, various amounts had been allocated for solar tubewells and research. He said recognising value of research in the Agriculture sector, the government had allocated Rs one billion and subsidy of Rs two billion to the small farmers for installing solar tubewells in the current budget. The Agriculture Department has introduced eight new kinds of BT cotton as well, he mentioned. He told the House that because of the governments stringent actions, the percentage of fake pesticides and fertilisers had been reduced to one per cent, and vowed to reduce it further. However, the Minister was grilled by the members for the illegal contractual appointments in the Agriculture University Faisalabad. While replying to a supplementary question from Treasurys Rana Muhammad Afzal, the Minister admitted that illegal appointments were made. Rana Afzal observed that under the guise of the adhoc and contract system, appointments were being made through dubious means, which had negated the very concept of upholding merit. He wanted that this system of giving employment should be finished immediately. To save his skin, Aulakh put the onus on the autonomous status of the University. Since it is being run by a syndicate, the government cannot interfere in its administrative matters. However, the government has sent these complaints to the Governor, who is the Chancellor of the University, mentioned the Minister. Seeing the members dissatisfaction over the replies and Ministers inability to put the assertions to rest, the Speaker referred the matter to the Standing Committee concerned. Meanwhile Oppositions Amna Ulfat reminded the House about Chief Ministers promise of submitting a report within two days 'not done so far despite a lapse of a few days regarding the sacked employees of the University of Health Sciences. Chairman Task Force on Health PML-Ns Dr Asad Ashraf told the House that the UHS was an autonomous body being run by retired judges and other selected ones. 90 per cent of the sacked employees have been restored, while complaints of divergent nature are pending against the rest of the 10 per cent, he added. Later, Treasurys Naveed Anjum staged a walkout from the Floor due to inaudibility of the Azan in the House. The Speaker requested him not to go out since the problem was with the sound system. However, Naveed, while averring that as long as the Azan would not be audible in the House, he would not come and left the House. To this, the Speaker remarked that the member was no bigger a Muslim than the rest, and no body should go to bring him back. A few Adjournments Motions were also taken up for discussion as well. Moreover, the In-House Working Women Protection Bill 2010, moved by Oppositions Seemal Kamran, was referred to the Standing Committee on Labour and Human Resource, which would submit its report by August 15. Two resolutions by Oppositions Samina Khawar Hayyat perhaps her last appearance on the Floor owing to her impending disqualification for submitting fake degree about declaring 20th Jamaad-u-Sani as Womens Day owing to birth day of Hazrat Fatima (RA), and Muhammad Mohsin Khan Legharis about reserving seats for the students of the Tribal Areas of Dera Ghazi Khan in DG Khan Medical College, were passed unanimously. Upon the completion of the agenda, Deputy Speaker Rana Mashhood Ahmed Khan adjourned the House till Wednesday (today) 10am.