JOS, Nigeria - At least 44 people were killed in twin bomb blasts in the central Nigerian city of Jos, the country’s main relief agency said on Monday, after a bloody week of violence blamed on Boko Haram.

“At the moment we have 44 dead bodies and 47 others injured from the scenes of the two attacks,” said Mohammed Abdulsalam, from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

Earlier, police in Plateau state, of which Jos is the capital, said at least 18 people had lost their lives in Sunday night’s attacks at a shopping complex and near a popular mosque.

Discrepancies in death tolls are not unusual in Nigeria. The police, military and government authorities have previously downplayed death tolls in the Boko Haram insurgency.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks but religiously divided Jos has been targeted before by the Islamist militants.

Plateau, which falls on the dividing line between Nigeria’s mainly Christian south and mostly Muslim north, has also seen waves of sectarian violence that has killed thousands over the last decade.

Boko Haram has stepped up its attacks in northern Nigeria since the inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari on May 29, with a wave of raids, explosions and suicide bombings.

With the latest attacks, more than 500 people have been killed, according to AFP reporting.

On Sunday, a suicide bomber blew himself up inside a church in the city of Potiskum, in Yobe state, northeast Nigeria, killing five worshippers.

Last week, Islamist militants fighters raided a number of villages around the Lake Chad area, killing more than 150 worshippers as they prayed in mosques.

Meanwhile, gunmen suspected of being cattle thieves killed at least 37 people in a village in northern Nigeria’s Zamfara state, a local government official said Monday. “The gunmen killed 37 people in the attack on Cigama village shortly after they attacked Kokeya village where they killed two people,” Muhammad Bala Gusami told AFP after Saturday’s violence.

“The attack on Cigama was obviously in response to the deployment by vigilantes from the village to nearby Kokeya which helped in pushing the bandits out,” he said. Gusami, who is the administrator of the local government area, said some 50 gunmen had taken part in the attack on Cigama, shooting indiscriminately. He said several houses were burnt down and herds of cattle stolen during the attack. Zamfara state has seen repeated incidents of cattle rustling and deadly raids on farming villages, prompting local communities to set up vigilante groups to counter the bandits.

The vigilantes are often accused of carrying out extra-judicial killings of suspected rustlers.

In retaliation, armed gangs on motorcycles are said to have raided villages to avenge the killing of their colleagues. In June 2013, more than 50 people were killed when around 150 attackers stormed Kizara village to avenge the killing of their comrades by local vigilantes.

In February last year, 20 people were killed in similar raids on neighbouring Rakumi, Mallamawa and Karagawa villages.

The bandits use a forest straddling Zamfara, Katsina, Kaduna and Niger states as a hideout from which to launch raids on herding communities. The governors of the four states met in Kaduna last week to forge a common front on fighting the cattle raiders.