LAHORE - Without fulfillment of even a single demand, the doctors called off strike on Thursday after 37 days long protest and resumed duty at public sector hospitals across the province on the World Health Day. The medics called off strike at emergencies in the morning after meeting with Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah and later in the afternoon, the meeting with the Chief Minister Mian Shahbaz Sharif paved the way for opening of all the remaining departments at hospitals. Neither the Punjab government issued notification of new salary package of medics nor it removed Secretary Health Punjab Fawad Hassan Fawad as medics demanded repeatedly. The Punjab CM only announced to constitute a six-member committee with three representatives from the Young Doctors Association to submit recommendations within fortnight for resolving the salary package issue and other demands of the doctors. The doctors continued protest for 37 days, denying healthcare facilities to the suffering humanity at out patient departments and later even at emergency and indoors, causing death of over 60 patients including children across the province. They intensified strike during the last week by closing even operation theatres and indoors at major hospitals, especially in Lahore and Multan. The young doctors also misbehaved with seniors while forcibly closing operation theatres at major public sector hospitals in the City. To counter the strike, the Punjab Government enforced Essential Service Act and removed around 200 'miscreants from service and recruited over 500 new doctors while making emergencies functional with the help of seniors and newcomers. After reducing the impact of strike to a larger extent by taking a number of measures, the Punjab government also provided face-saving opportunity to the protesters through proper announcement after meeting with the Punjab CM. Calling off strike would cause withdrawal of termination orders of protesting doctors while the new recruitments would help fill vacant posts. The protesting doctors were demanding considerable raise in salary package, implementation of decisions taken in meeting with Senior Adviser Sardar Zulfiqar Khosa and removal of Secretary Health Fawad Hassan Fawad. The doctors reiterated demands time and again and vowed to continue strike. The Punjab government did not accept even a single demand and keeping intact the past tradition of constituting yet another committee that proved enough for the protesting medics to call off the strike and resume duty at public sector hospitals across the province. During a meeting with a delegation of Young Doctors Association at Chief Ministers Secretariat on Thursday afternoon, Chief Minister Mian Shahbaz Sharif directed constitution of a 6-member committee to submit recommendations regarding raise in salary package of medics within couple of weeks. The committee would comprise Senior Adviser Sardar Zulfiqar Ali Khosa, Law Minister Rana Sanaullah Khan, Senator Pervaiz Rashid and three representatives from Young Doctors Association. Talking to the young doctors, the CM praised the decision to call off the strike, saying it was good news for the people of Punjab especially the ailing humanity. He said that doctors enjoyed respect in the society and solution of their genuine problems was the responsibility of the government and all possible measures would be taken in this regard. Shahbaz said that provision of quality education, modern treatment facilities and justice to the common man was his mission and all resources were being utilised for that purpose. He said that despite financial constraints, Punjab government had taken revolutionary steps for the uplift of those sectors. He said that free medicines were being provided at hospitals first time in the countrys history while dialysis facility had been restored and air-conditioners had been installed in hospitals at a cost of Rs 2billion. He said that mobile health units had been imported for providing latest medical facilities to the rural masses at their doorstep and six mobile units had started functioning in backward areas. Shahbaz said that 50 more mobile health units were being imported for providing facilities in each tehsil of the province. He said that merit had been promoted in the province while self-finance scheme in professional educational institutions had been abolished as it deprived the deserving students of their right. Similarly, he said, service structure of doctors had been improved and their remuneration had also been increased. He commended the doctors who preferred to serve in the country rather than going abroad. He said that despite paucity of the resources, genuine demands of doctors would be accepted and the committee set up in this regard would submit its recommendations within two weeks keeping in view the problems of doctors. Senior Adviser Sardar Zulfiqar Ali Khan Khosa, Minister for Law Rana Sanaullah Khan, Senator Pervaiz Rashid, MPAs Dr Asad Ashraf, Dr Saeed Elahi and Zaeem Qadri were also present on the occasion. Israr Ahmed from Rawalpindi adds: After getting green signal from the Punjab government for increment in their salaries, the young doctors called off their 38-day long strike in Allied Hospitals on Thursday. A large number of patients arrived in District Headquarters Hospital (DHQ), Benazir Bhutto Hospital (BBH) and Holy Family Hospital (HFH) for medical treatment and hailed the patch up between the doctors and the Punjab government. Punjab Young Doctors Association (YDA) Chairman Dr Haroon, while talking to the media men said Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif had accepted the demands of doctors and assured them that their salaries would be raised at the start of next fiscal year. He said the CM also formed a six-member committee and gave it the task to finalise the proposal within two weeks to redress the problems. Punjab Law Minister Rana Sana Ullah, Advisor to CM Zulfiqar Khosa and Senator Pervaiz Rasheed would represent the government whereas Dr Haroon, Dr Nasir Abbas and Dr Asman Ayub would represent doctors community, he added. The committee will present its report to the CM by the end of this month and the proposals will be included in the budget proposals, said Dr Haroon. After getting the assurance, the YDA will resume their duties at the hospitals from today (Friday). We will start seeing checking from today at AHs. The OPDs will start working and young doctors will try their best to provide adequate health services to the patients Dr Haroon said. Meanwhile, the young doctors resumed their duties at Emergencies of AHs whereas the OPDs remained closed on Thursday. The medical superintendents of AHs called back newly-appointed doctors from the emergency departments and assigned them jobs to attend the patients in different wards. Besides, hundreds of poor patients, professors and assistant professors of the AHs took sigh of relief as they had to render their services both in wards and emergencies.