WASHINGTON (AFP) - A 1,500-strong contingent of US Marines will arrive in Afghanistan this month in the first wave of a troop surge approved by President Barack Obama, the US military said on Monday. The Marines from Camp Lejeune in North Carolina were among 16,000 forces who received deployment orders in the past few days as part of the troop buildup, spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters. Another 6,200 Marines from Camp Lejeune were due to deploy in the early spring next year and 800 Marines from Camp Pendleton in California would head to Afghanistan at the same time, he said. The US Army also was mobilising troops, with 3,400 from the 10th Mountain Division in Fort Drum in New York state ordered to deploy in the spring to focus on training Afghan security forces. About 4,100 support troops also were ordered to deploy between now and the spring of 2010, Whitman said. The Pentagon did not offer more details about the troop deployments, including where the forces would be stationed. Defense Secretary Robert Gates had said he signed the orders last week shortly after Obama announced his decision in a speech. Under the surge plan, US forces will focus on the more volatile south and east, while allied troops will concentrate on the countrys north and west. The Marine Corps was expected to send in up to 9,000 forces to take on insurgents in the south, officials said last week. Around 900 US Marines, British troops and 150 Afghan forces launched an offensive last week-Operation Cobras Anger-in Helmand province to clear out insurgents. Meanwhile, NATO allies have agreed to support the US troop surge in Afghanistan with 7,000 more troops, the organisations Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Monday. And there would be more to come in 2010, Rasmussen added. On top of the 30,000 forces coming from the United States, NATO allies and partners have made pledges to add almost 7,000 extra forces to the mission, said a statement from Rasmussen released after a meeting of military leaders. There is now more work to be done to turn these basic figures into capability on the ground, and in particular to focus on the critical area of training the Afghan security forces, he said. He had clear indications that the total contribution from non-US allies would exceed 7,000 by 2010, he added, without elaborating. At the high-level meeting at Mons, in Belgium, the 44 nations contributing to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) delivered on promises made last week at a foreign ministers meeting in Brussels, said Rasmussen. Military sources told AFP that France and Germany had nothing more to offer, at least not before the international conference on Afghanistan scheduled for January 28. A number of US allies have promised to send extra troops to back US President Barack Obamas new strategy to end the conflict in Afghanistan. The 37,000-strong boost in troop numbers will bring the NATO-led ISAF force strength up to some 150,000 by 2010, of whom two-thirds are American.