KARACHI - Investigators probing the killings of two employees of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), at Karachi airport, are still clueless during the five days of investigation.

They have sought help from the media and citizens to provide some important footages, showing the suspect but they could not collect any tangible evidence against the suspect to imitate the investigation properly.

The investigation wing of the police has started investigation. The team visited the crime scene to collect evidences on Sunday but unable to find out any tangible evidence from the crime scene.

Investigations SP Malik Altaf said he had also appealed to media and citizens to provide such footages, if they have any, to the investigators that could help the investigators in probing the case.

“The investigators will also have to record the statements of the nine witnesses whose names were provided by the PIA’s Joint Action Committee. Apart from them, the investigators will also record the statements of the injured persons as well as the nearby petrol pumps and the restaurants’ employees,” he added.

The two employees of the PIA including aircraft engineer Saleem Akbar and assistant manager IT Enayat Raza were killed when someone opened fire on the protesting workers of the PIA on Tuesday’s agitation. They were killed during a clash with the police and Rangers who were deployed to stop the protesters marching towards the Jinnah Terminal. The PIA employees were staging protest against the proposed privatisation of the national flag carrier in Karachi. With the passage of four days of the incident, government officials including Information Minister Pervez Rashid, Senator Mushahidullah Khan, ex-MD PIA Shujaat Azeem, Brigadier (r) Asif and Maqsood Ahmed alias Mama were named as the plotters in the FIR registered with the airport police station on the court’s orders. The case was lodged on the complaint of PIA’s Joint Action Committee chairman Sohail Baloch.


The investigation team of Rangers on Sunday started probe into the killing of two PIA workers during their protest outside the Jinnah Airport last week. The team visited the site of the protest to collect evidences.

Sindh Rangers Director General Major General Bilal Akbar, in a meeting with the PIA Joint Action Committee head Captain Sohail Baloch a couple days ago, assured that fair investigation would be conducted into the killing of PIA workers and whosoever found responsible would be brought to justice.

Baloch had also requested the DG Rangers to probe ‘mysterious disappearance’ of four PIA workers from Karachi.

On the other hand, talks between the PIA workers and federal government have failed to yield any breakthrough as both sides remained stick to their stances.

The PIA’s Joint Action Committee has given a 36-hour ultimatum to government to meet its demands, with protest continued against the airline’s proposed privatisation. According to the spokesperson for the federal government, the decision by the PIA employees to resume duties, even though partially, was praiseworthy. He hoped that complete operations of the organisation will be restored soon.

The pilots, crew and ground staff of both the flights belong to PIA. Both the PIA chairman and secretary Civil Aviation, Irfan Elahi seen off the flights themselves while the top officials of the national airlines were also present during the flights’ departure.