JOS, Nigeria, (Agencies) - More than 300 bodies, many of them women and children, lay in the streets of a central Nigerian town after a renewed spate of Christian-Muslim violence, witnesses said Sunday, just months after religious violence tore through a nearby city and left hundreds dead. Nigerias Acting President on Sunday ordered security forces to hunt down those behind clashes involving Muslim herders and Christian villagers. The Acting President has placed all the security forces in Plateau and neighbouring states on red alert so as to stem any cross-border dimensions to this latest conflict, Jonathans office said in a statement. Yemi Kosoko, a reporter with the independent Nigerian news network Channels, told an American news agency most of the bodies appeared to be women and children killed by blows from machetes. Kosoko said the dead lined the streets of Dogo Nahawa, a village about three miles south of the city of Jos. Kosoko said he made the count Sunday afternoon with an official from the state government. Military units began surrounding the affected villages around the same time, said Red Cross spokesman Robin Waubo. Ms Waubo said the agency did not know how many people may have died in the fighting, though officials have been sent to local morgues and hospitals. Witnesses said the violence began in the mostly Christian village at about 3:00am Sunday - an hour when the area should have been under curfew and guarded by the military. Jos has remained under a curfew since violence in January left more than 300 people dead, the majority of them Muslims. Police and military officials declined to comment on the attack or the motivation for the violence. It appears to be reprisal attacks, Ms Waubo said. In nearby Bauchi state, more than 600 people fled to a makeshift camp still holding victims of Januarys violence, said Red Cross official Adamu Abubakar. They started running away from the fighting, Abubakar said by phone. He said more continued to come. As well as the carnage at Dogo Nahawa, dozens of houses were also set ablaze during similar raids on the nearby villages of Ratsat and Zot, all less than 10km from Jos and home to members of the Berom ethnic group. Traumatised residents accused the local authorities of turning a blind eye to the bloodshed blamed on members of the rival Fulani clan. Peter Gyang, who lost a wife and two children, told reporters in Dogo Nahawa that the killing spree carried on uninterrupted for several hours. The operation started around 3:00am (0200 GMT) and lasted till 6:00am and there were gunshots, but we did not see a single policeman, he said. We no longer have confidence in the security agencies, he added. Residents and local rights activists blamed the attacks on Fulani members who they said were taking revenge after a deadly attack by the Berom last month. It seems the attacks were well coordinated as the attackers launched ... (them) simultaneously, Shamaki Gad Peter, head of League for Human Rights in Jos, told AFP as he toured Ratsat village. And a Fulani resident in Jos, Yusuf Alkali, said he believed the attacks were a reprisal for the killings of four herdsmen two weeks ago when a Fulani settlement was attacked by ethnic Berom youths. Pam Dantong, the chief medical director at Plateau State hospital in Jos, showed reporters 18 corpses in the morgue saying others were taken to Jos Teaching Hospital.