Noor Mohammad had just sat down with his classmates in Lahore when a huge car bomb pulverised part of his school and turned his religious studies into a living hell. "We had just assembled in our classroom when it looked as if hell had broken with a huge blast that rocked our school," he told AFP at the lunar-scape bomb site strewn with collapsed masonry, twisted metal and broken tree branches. A thick ball of smoke coiled into the sky from outside the window of his classroom at a privately run Muslim seminary teaching young boys the Koran. Wood panels shattered into shards, hitting and injuring students. "There was panic as students, many of them carrying their injured friends, rushed to the exit in a bid to find a safe place," Mohammad said. As he emerged from the severely damaged building, he remembers people crying and running in different directions. Lightly wounded, he was now nursing a wide bandage wrapped around his head. The bomb attack during the Monday rush hour in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore caused major destruction, reducing a police building used to interrogate suspected militants and nearby houses into thick piles of rubble. Officials said 11 people were killed and more than 60 others wounded, but rescue workers feared more people were still trapped under the debris. Volunteers clawed at the rubble with bare hands, while bulldozers and other heavy-lifting machinery cleared away the mounds of rubble, witnesses said. The explosion badly damaged more than a dozen houses. Through collapsed walls, people cried loudly and buried their face in their heads over the disaster. "The blast completely damaged my house and there is nothing left inside," said doctor Rashida, with tears rolling down her cheeks. "You can imagine how difficult it is to construct a house and then to make it worth living for its inhabitants," she sobbed. Flying glass wounded passers-by. A woman and her daughter were among the dead. Wounded civilians were mostly office workers or parents returning after dropping their children at school, officials said. Broken glass, huge concrete blocks and blood smeared the scene, said an AFP reporter. Dozens of people roamed round frantically, asking for news of their loved ones. Some local residents lashed out at the security forces, asking how bombers could have penetrated such a highly guarded area and accused security forces of putting people at risk. "It is really strange how terrorists managed to enter the area, which was closed for general public," one witness said. "We have been asking the authorities to move this sensitive office out of the city's residential area but our repeated requests remained unanswered," Mohammad Saeed, an angry local resident, told reporters.