LAHORE – Punjab National Accountability Bureau has finalised inquiry of canal motor scam and action is likely to be taken against six accused, sources told this scribe on Wednesday.

They claimed that reference in this regard was ready and would be filed in accountability court within couple of days.

The owner of Canal Motors, Rana Qaiser Nazir, extorted Rs 1.18 billion from 220 people on pretext of delivering them cars. Sources said Rana was backed by a serving SP Rana Mansoorul Haq and other political leaders of PML-N. A senior officer of the Bureau seeking anonymity confirmed that NAB sent its inquiry to the legal department and hopefully reference would be filed shortly.

When contacted NAB Director General Justice Khursheed Anwar Bhinder said there was misconception among some circles regarding this case that NAB was going to favour any accused having political background. He said all the proceedings would be held purely on merit and no favor would be extended to any accused.

Two claimants of the said scam passed away while waiting for justice from the NAB. Many of the scam affectees were pensioners, widows and senior citizens who knocked at every door, but in vain. During their long struggle the affectees formed a committee called ‘Canal Motor Affectees Committee’, which was presided over by PAF Group Captain (r) Muhammad Saleem Metla.

Talking to this scribe Mr Metla said the affectees filed a writ petition in Lahore High Court in this regard and court asked NAB officials to file reference in the concerned court by January 15 but no reference had been filed so far.

He said committee also submitted applications to the Chief Justice of Pakistan, NAB Chairman and the NAB Punjab Director General.

Mr Metla alleged that SP Mansoor, who played an active role in the scam, had also not been interrogated due to his relation with PML-N leader Rana Nazir. “The claimants are being threatened by the police and the perpetrator, with the connivance of SP Mansoor,” alleged Metla. He went on to blame the wife of Rana Qaiser, for shifting the looted money to Canada.

The NAB sources said two other persons Diyal and Bilal admitted to possessing property obtained through illegal means and voluntarily returned Rs18 million to the bureau. However, the amount handed over was much lesser than the actual value of the properties.