HYDERABAD - A student was shot dead and two others injured by unidentified armed men in Sindh University Jamshoro on Wednesday, two weeks after it reopened following more than two-month closure in protest against a teacher’s murder.

According to police, a student Din Muhammad was sitting outside the university’s Arts Faculty building along with his colleagues when unidentified motorcyclists opened fire at him.

According to hospital sources, he received three bullets in his chest and abdomen and died on the way to hospital.

Two other students also received bullet injuries in the attack, and were shifted to Liaqat University Hospital in a critical condition. The firing incident sowed severe panic among the students, suspending the academic process.

Police and Rangers arrived at the scene and cordoned off the area. However, motives behind the incident were not known yet. Various students associated with wings of political groups had often been attacked by rivals in the past. The firing was a second such incident in two months. The university witnessed a very grim and alarming situation when Professor Channar was gunned down in January. His murder followed by teachers’ protest across the province, suspending overall academic activities in all universities of Sindh, with boycotts and protest demonstrations by teachers associations for the removal of Vice Chancellor Dr Mughal.

Meanwhile, Sindh University administration, Deans of the Faculties, members of Syndicate and representatives of SUTA strongly condemned the incident.

Following the incident, Vice Chancellor Dr Parveen Shah, accompanied by Registrar Dr Muhammad Ilyas Rajput and others hurried to the hospital. She also held talks with students and assured them that the administration would take all possible measures ensuring arrest of the culprits. She also convened an emergency meeting of the Deans of Faculties which was attended by Dr Muhammad Tahir Rajput, Dr Abida Tahrani, Dr Abdullah Dayo, Dr Sanaullah Bhutto, Dr Noor Afroz Khawaja, Registrar  Dr Muhammad Ilyas Rajput, Dr Sarfraz Hussain Solangi, Dr Ghulam Murtaza Mastoi, Prof Badaruddin Soomro, Imran Ali Halepoto, Office bearers of Sindh University Teachers Association Dr Azhar Ali Shah, Dr Arfana Mallah, SSP Jamshoro Farooq Ahmed Jamali, DSP Ghulam Rasool Panhwar, officers of Rangers and other officials.

The meeting strongly condemned the firing incident and stressed on the need of arresting the culprits immediately. The SSP assured the administration of taking all possible steps to bring the culprits to book. The meeting also decided that a three-day mourn will be observed at the university. It was further decided that stern action would be taken against the students who possessed arms. The meeting in connection with security measures has also taken several decisions for vigilant security at the campus as well as checking at the main entrances of the University. It further decided to establish parking for private and students vehicles at zero point of the campus. It was decided that no private vehicle will be allowed to enter in the area of teaching departments while shuttle bus will be operated, facilitating the students from zero point to their teaching departments. Meanwhile, the Registrar notified that a three-day mourn from Thursday (today) will be observed in the University on account of assassination of Din Muhammad. Whereas, academic activities would continue at all departments.

He further notified to cancel admission of Zahoor Hussain Malan, a student of BCom Honours, because of his involvement in the incident.