ISLAMABAD - The persons, who had helped Shahrukh Jatoi – the main accused in the Shahzeb murder case – to flee the country, have been performing duties at Bilawal House in Karachi, the FIA told the apex court on Thursday.
A three-judge bench of Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Gulzar Ahmed and Justice Azmat Saeed was conducting the hearing of the murder case. Shahzeb Khan, the son of Deputy Superintendent of Police Aurangzeb Khan, was killed on the night between December 24 and 25 in Sabaha Avenue of Karachi over a trivial row by Siraj Talpur and Shahrukh Jatoi.
During Thursday’s proceedings, Federal Investigation Agency’s Karachi Director Muhammad Malik told the court that two Pakistan International Airport employees had allegedly helped the main accused escape, and now they were performing protocol duties at Bilawal House.
“Through investigations, we have learnt that Mehmood Sultan and Wasi Akhtar are associated with Bilawal House. They had aided Jatoi to reach the plane without having an exit stamp in his passport,” the FIA official said, adding that the chief protocol officer had, in a letter, asked the PIA to assign the two men the duty of arranging the protocol for guests at Bilawal House. He also said that besides them, eights more PIA workers were performing duties at Bilawal House.
The FIA official also informed the court that Bilawal House had been acting as the Presidency, but he could not satisfy the three justices, nor could he provide any sort of proof to prove his assertion.
The letter by the chief protocol officer was not authored on any official letterhead of the Presidency, the director said when Justice Chaudhry asked whether there was any proof that the two officers were associated with the Presidency.
“Do not try to take things the other way round. We are not against anyone and only want that the law is abided by and the investigation is carried out in accordance with the rules and regulations,” Justice Chaudhry said to the FIA Karachi director.
The court was also informed that Sultan was absconding while Wasi had already obtained a pre-arrest bail on February 28. “We received CCTV footages from the ASF (airport security force) on February 27 the close examination of which led us to a belief that the two men had helped Jatoi escape to Dubai.”
The FIA however could not satisfy the Supreme Court bench that directed the agency’s director general to furnish a fresh report regarding the matter by the next date of the hearing.
The court also observed that FIA Director Maalik and Deputy Director Faqir Muhammad had not showed any progress on the investigations, and opined that the director general may take over the task. The case was adjourned till March 18.