ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court on Monday rejected former President Pervez Musharraf’s plea to transfer his case related to murder of Baloch nationalist leader Nawab Akbar Bugti from Quetta to Islamabad due to his security fears.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Nasir ul Mulk has maintained the Balochistan High Court’s August 24, 2013 order. The BHC had rejected Musharraf’s plea that his trial regarding death Nawab Akbar Bugti death be held in Islamabad due to security reasons.
The court observed that it was up to the Federal government to transfer Musharraf’s case from Quetta to Islamabad due to the security reasons?.
It is to be noted that Akbar Bugti was killed on August 26, 2006 during a military crackdown ordered by Musharraf, who at that time was President and Army chief.
The Balochistan High Court on August 24, 2013 had dismissed a petition by Musharraf to transfer his trial over the death of Baloch leader Nawab Akbar Bugti from Quetta to Islamabad due to security fears.
During the hearing, the Prosecutor General of Balochistan withdrew the request made by the provincial government to transfer the case and assured the court of providing every possible security to Musharraf. He had told the high court that the caretaker provincial government had submitted the request to transfer the case to Islamabad for security reasons, but the incumbent government had decided to withdraw it.
Counsel for Pervez Musharraf Barrister Ilyas Siddiqui told the bench that his client had serious security threats as several murder attempts had been made on his life and he had been receiving death threats.
Lawyer of Nawabzada Akbar Bugti, Sohail Ahmed Rajput Advocate, argued that the petition filed by the accused to transfer the case to Islamabad had no legal status, adding, a high court could transfer a case within that province.
The interim government set up in the province to conduct general elections on May 11 had filed a request in the court for the case to be transferred for security reasons. However, the newly elected provincial government, which took power in June, withdrew the application and informed the court that they could provide security to Musharraf.
Musharraf, who returned to Pakistan from four years of self-imposed exile in March, has been under house arrest at his villa on the edge of Islamabad since April 19th. He is also facing charges in other cases, including the 2007 murder of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.