Islamabad - Disaster Management Fund would be established soon with the technical assistance of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to mitigate effects in case of any disaster in the country.

Spokesman NDMA, Ahmed Kamal yesterday said in January 2005 United Nations established United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction under which a ten-year Hyogo Frame Work (HFA) Action was drafted for 2005 to 2015. Main focus of the disaster action plan was to ensure prevention, mitigation and preparedness for any disaster, he said. He further informed that they have provided European medium range forecasting system due to which weather forecasting have improved manifold during past years.

An official of Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA) said in last 10 years 600,000 houses were rebuild in the earthquake hit areas. He informed that a total of 611,059 houses were destroyed in the calamity, adding that 5808 education institutions were destroyed among which 2882 have been reconstructed while 2819 are under construction.

The official said, 249 environmental projects were completed in the areas besides 217 still under construction. Among 715 destroyed governance infrastructure, 487 have been completed and 214 are still under completion.

In health sector 307 buildings were damaged out of 193 have been completed and 113 are still under construction, 1365 new livelihood related projects were constructed and 984 are under construction. Besides that 10 power projects, two social protection, one telecommunication, 175 transport and 4544 other projects were completed to provide smooth facilitates to masses.

Commemorating 10th anniversary of the incident, Chairman ERRA, in his message on the day shared that the Authority has completed 70 percent of its reconstruction portfolio. The remaining 30 percent is just as important as the 70 percent already completed. The authority and its partners remain steadfast and resolute in their determination to fulfil a promise to Build Back Better the earthquake affected areas.