CAIRO (AFP) - The chief judge in the trial of ousted president Hosni Mubarak on Wednesday summoned high-profile witnesses including Egypt's army ruler Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi to testify in court. Prosecutors, meanwhile, accused a police witness of having revised his testimony to favour the defendants, following accusations in the Egyptian media of a cover-up over the killings of hundreds of anti-regime protesters. The prosecution, under fire for summoning police witnesses who appeared to back up the defence's case, said Captain Mohammed Abdel Hakim had given them different testimony during their investigation. But Judge Ahmed Refaat, who initially ordered Hakim detained following the prosecution's accusation, declared him innocent at the end of the session. Prosecutor Mostafa Suleiman said Hakim testified in court that anti-riot units in Cairo on January 28 had been equipped with blank ammunition and tear gas, whereas he said in previous questioning that hunting ammunition was used. Protesters torched police stations across the country that day, prompting Mubarak to call the military on to the streets. Picking up the pace of the trial, Refaat said he has summoned military ruler Tantawi to testify on Sunday behind closed doors for reasons of "national security." The head of the general staff, Sami Anan, would give evidence on Monday and former intelligence chief and vice president General Omar Suleiman on Tuesday, also behind closed doors. Interior Minister Mansur al-Essawi and a predecessor, Mahmud Wagdi, will testify on September 14 and 15 respectively, the judge added. At the last court session on Monday, none of the police witnesses who gave evidence implicated Mubarak or his interior minister Habib al-Adly for the deaths during the revolution against his three decades of autocratic rule. The latest hearing was the fourth in the trial which opened on August 3 and, unlike the first two sessions, the process has been taken behind closed doors and off-camera. Mohamed el-Damati, a representative of the families' lawyers in civil cases, filed to question Tantawi, to whom Mubarak handed power on his ouster in February, and Suzanne Mubarak. Tantawi was defence minister for two decades under the veteran president. The lawyers said they also wanted to question former intelligence chief Suleiman who is reported to have said Mubarak was aware of each bullet fired during the revolution, and the fallen leader's wife, Suzanne. The case against the ousted president, Adly and six of his security chiefs suffered another blow on Monday when it emerged that the prosecution's main witness had been convicted of destroying a recording of police telephone calls. And two other police officers summoned to back the case that Mubarak and the other accused had ordered the shootings of protesters testified they had in fact been ordered to exercise "restraint." "The prosecution witnesses turned into defence witnesses," independent daily Al-Shorouk said, deeming the third hearing "a battering for the victims' families." Television footage showed the ailing 83-year-old Mubarak, who faces charges of involvement in the killings and corruption, arriving at the courtroom in an ambulance and on a stretcher on Wednesday, as on previous sessions. There were no reports of trouble between his supporters and opponents outside the court, unlike on Monday when police arrested 20 people. But late on Tuesday, football fans clashed with police in a Cairo stadium, injuring nearly 80 people, after they chanted slogans against Mubarak and torched dozens of cars. The charges against Mubarak, who has pleaded innocent, follow months of protests demanding justice for the roughly 850 people killed during the revolt which ended his regime. The trial, adjourned until Thursday, is being held in a police academy once named after Mubarak on Cairo's outskirts.