MULTAN

The Multan Institute of Kidney Diseases (MIKD) will have state-of-the-art kidney treatment and transplant facilities and its outdoor will become functional by November 1, disclosed Kh Salman Rafiq, advisor to the Chief Minister on Health.

Chairing a meeting held here at MIKD on Saturday, he added that 635 posts had been approved for the institution and Rs233 million for the purchase of remaining 25 percent machinery had also been allocated. “The hospital has already purchased 75 percent machinery while funds for the remaining 25 percent will be released within four days,” he declared. He said that the government wanted to make it an Al-Shifa or Agha Khan-like institution and therefore it would be run by a trust to end intervention of politicians or bureaucracy.

He declared that specialist working abroad would be hired on high salaries for the MIKD. He said that the Chief Minister took serious notice of delay in completion of MIKD and sent him along with secretary health to eliminate all obstacles in its way.

He declared that the hospital would be funded by the government and the patients would be offered treatment for free. He disclosed that experts from Singapore would soon visit the institute and give recommendations for improvement in its design. Speaking on the occasion, Punjab Health Secretary Jawad Rafiq Malik said that the government desired to introduce such a system in hospitals of Punjab that no doctor needed reference for posting and transfer. He declared that monthly meeting would be held to review progress in Kidney Institute project.

While briefing the participants of the meeting, the Executive Director of the Kidney Institute said that machinery worth Rs650 million had been purchased for the hospital and patients would be offered facilities like kidney transplant, urology, nephrology and ICU.

He further revealed that over 40 dialysis machines would be installed at the hospital. He said that seven professors, as many associate professors, three consultants, 15 assistant professors and 88 medical officers would be appointed at the MIKD.